New Forum for PsychoPy: http://discourse.psychopy.org

Jon Peirce

Aug 2, 2016, 10:00:22 AM8/2/16
to PsychoPy Developers, PsychoPy Users

Hi there,

Just letting you know that we've decided to open a forum that we fully control rather than relying on googlegroups (which was getting rather old and tired). We've created a dedicated one-stop forum to handle all categories of discussion (Builder, code, development and announcements). You can see the new shiny forum at:

    http://discourse.psychopy.org

Many thanks to Discourse for providing this awesome looking forum software and also for hosting it for us.

From now on **that will be the best place to get quick answers to your questions**. Unfortunately googlegroups don't make it easy for us to move over the old messages so those will remain there (apologies for a few users who have had odd spam-looking messages in the last few days while I tried to hack an alternative way to do it).

The forum offers various great things that weren't possible on googlegroups:

  • Customise what messages you get mail about. You can subscribe to specific categories or tags and/or override that for individual discussions within those categories
    • e.g. go to category Announcements and select "Watch" in the top right of the page, then do the same for Coder but not for Builder
    • by default you only get update messages about the topics you contribute/post to
  • Much nicer web experience but you can still reply/subscribe to posts by email.
  • Better recognition for when you answer questions and "like" responses Badges! Everybody loves a badge, right?!
  • Social interface. You get to insert all those cool emojis. You can also "like", you can tick "solved" and you can refer to individuals by @username
  • You can bookmark responses to make it easier to find them again
  • One-stop for all your discussions rather than coding questions going to StackOverflow, app questions on users-psychopy and dev questions on dev-psychopy
So go ahead and get posting on the Forum and let us know if you'd like something done differently (in the topic on the "Dev" category)

best wishes
Jon
--
Jon Peirce
http://www.peirce.org.uk

Daniel E. Shub

Aug 3, 2016, 4:44:59 PM8/3/16
to psycho...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if it is worth proposing a psychopy stack exchange site at
http://area51.stackexchange.com/ Most of the sites are about software
with bigger user bases (e.g., ubuntu, emacs, and mathematica), but
technically it only takes 200 dedicated users to get a site started.
That would be less than 10% of the psychopy-users list.

Michael MacAskill

Aug 3, 2016, 4:58:03 PM8/3/16
to psycho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

We did think about that early on, but decided to start with just a `psychopy` tag on the main StackOverflow site.

Unfortunately, we find that StackOverflow doesn't work so well for our new users. Often their problems require more a dialog to solve, rather than the inherent question & answer structure of the StackExchange site. And often they aren't really even programming questions per se. And as a result, sometimes they get told off by non-psychopy general Stack Overflow users for not fitting the mould.

Having a dedicated Stack site would solve part of that problem, but still not address the question/answer focus of that system. The new Discourse site gives a lot of the advantages of the StackOverflow system (and is designed by one of StackOverflow's founders) but allows a more flexible dialog style of interaction, which probably better fits the help needs of most of our users.

Where StackOverflow does work best is for people who are programming their own PsychoPy experiments. They tend to be better at asking well-formed questions and accordingly attract answers from general Python StackOverflow members, rather than just the small group of PsychoPy members. And that will probably continue to be a useful avenue for some.

Best wishes,

Michael

> On 4/08/2016, at 07:27, Daniel E. Shub <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wonder if it is worth proposing a psychopy stack exchange site at
> http://area51.stackexchange.com/ Most of the sites are about software
> with bigger user bases (e.g., ubuntu, emacs, and mathematica), but
> technically it only takes 200 dedicated users to get a site started.
> That would be less than 10% of the psychopy-users list.

--
Michael R. MacAskill, PhD 66 Stewart St
Research Director, Christchurch 8011

Senior Research Fellow, michael....@nzbri.org
Te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo, Otautahi Ph: +64 3 3786 072
University of Otago, Christchurch http://www.nzbri.org/macaskill

Jon Peirce

Aug 3, 2016, 5:02:32 PM8/3/16
to psycho...@googlegroups.com
I've moved this discussion to the forum (I even managed to make it a
discussion "owned" by you Dan!)

http://discourse.psychopy.org/t/what-about-a-stackexchange-site/627