Measuring memory bandwidth utilization

yoshua.na...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2020, 5:24:14 AM7/1/20
to psutil

Many macro benchmarks of applications focus on determining what's the peak/average/min/max values of CPU, Memory, etc.

Nonetheless, an important aspect to consider when getting a new PC for a certain application is that the mainboard has enough memory bandwidth to cover all the applications required. Is there any way in which we could measure this with psutil? I know memory bandwidth is a hardware spec rather than a system metric, but it could be useful to fetch some kind of metric.

For an application example, modern computers for autonomous driving (for example, NVIDIA Jetson) contain standard processors and also highly parallel ones. They need to move lots of data between RAM, CPU and GPU. An important factor when moving into a platform of this type is to make sure that the bandwidth of the system is not saturated, thus all data can be moved without strong latency.

Is there a way in which we could measure memory bandwidth usage with psutil?

Giampaolo Rodola'

Jul 1, 2020, 5:30:59 AM7/1/20
to psu...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what you mean by "memory bandwidth". Are you using some
other tool for measuring that?
> --

Giampaolo - gmpy.dev