Internal politics and PR #1284

darra...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2019, 4:26:52 PM4/30/19
to psutil
So I'm not 100% sure why they chose to remove the code due to licensing issues, when all they had to do to even merge in a piece of GPL/v2/v3 code was specify that the code included in the software is not of their making. Is it too embarrassing to say "Credit to Apple for SMC sensor information"? I'm not quite sure why the decision was made, when no changes would have to be made to the current BSD licensing scheme, ESPECIALLY if they're using the 3-clause license since they're compatible. The remnants of the "working code" are completely broken and non-functional. I'm trying to build a system watchdog involving mixes of macOS, Windows, and Linux boxes but I guess I'll only be able to report utilization and not sensor information on the Macs, because of some weird internal politics issue with the developer.

Can anyone enlighten me, or even the dev, on what the mindset was to suddenly decide that "copyright" was way too much for that commit? Hell, why not stop using Python? They use the GPL license. That's a conflict according to the developer.

/rant

Giampaolo Rodola'

Apr 30, 2019, 9:33:11 PM4/30/19
to psu...@googlegroups.com
Did you really have to make a rant? Feel better now? -.-:
Gosh, the lack of style...

Aleksandar Kordic

May 1, 2019, 12:56:01 AM5/1/19
to psu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Darranthall,

Just looked at Python license https://docs.python.org/3/license.html - looks like BSD not GPL. Would be surprised if Python used GPL license, I was creating several closed-source apps with embedded python for companies in the past.

/rant