OS X and Windows P.O.C.

Jay Loden

May 4, 2008, 11:26:24 PM5/4/08
to psuti...@googlegroups.com

Dave and I worked on this over the weekend and Dave put together an MS Windows preliminary Proof Of Concept that returns a list of PIDs for a Windows platform, and set up our skeleton setup.py file. Dave also kindly sketched our our preliminary API in diagram form as well as in code form. Today I also went out and implemented the same basic functionality (list of PIDs) for the OS X platform as well. I'm not sure, but the same code may also be functional on BSD as well, we'll need a BSD machine to find out.

Assuming we decide to go forward with the project (re: my previous email regarding the Python System Information project), then next steps will be to flesh out the code to add the ProcessInfo class to the C modules and start adding features. Giampaolo, the Linux module is going to be pure Python so while I work on OS X and Dave works on Windows C modules, you can work the Linux side (start by writing the same basic skeleton code that lists PIDs from /proc). I think we can have a basic, functional psutil module pretty quickly with each of us working one platform.

Giampaolo, if you have any questions regarding the implementation details or designs, ask away :-)

-Jay

Giampaolo Rodola'

May 5, 2008, 12:06:33 AM5/5/08
to psuti...@googlegroups.com
2008/5/5 Jay Loden <jlo...@gmail.com>:

Hey!
Today I noticed that you guys committed a lot of stuff. Nice work dudes. ;-)
Unfortunately today I've been busy the whole day on trying to add the
damn IPv6 support to pyftpdlib and I'm still here (5:45 AM) on doing
it.
I still have to take a look at what you guys have done.
Once I'll do that (hopefully tomorrow) I'll surely start to work on something.

> Today I also went out and implemented the same basic functionality
> (list of PIDs) for the OS X platform as well. I'm not sure, but the same
> code may also be functional on BSD as well, we'll need a BSD
> machine to find out.

I have two VMware images of FreeBSD 6.2 and FreeBSD 7.0-RC we could
use for testing.
If the compiling / installing process of C/Python modules in FreeBSD
is the same as in Linux I can try to install the current psutil
revision and see if it works.
Otherwise I could ask to Li Wen Su (the guy who ported pyftpdlib on
FreeBSD) some help.

> Giampaolo, the Linux module is going to be pure Python so while I
> work on OS X and Dave works on Windows C modules, you can
> work the Linux side (start by writing the same basic skeleton code
> that lists PIDs from /proc)

Yeah, I could start writing the Linux basics.
I'll google for some resources to see if, aside from listing pids, we
can cover some other task by using the pure python.

> Giampaolo, if you have any questions regarding the implementation details or designs, ask away :-)

I'll surely ask for it tomorrow, as soon as I'll take a look at what
you guys have done until now.

Good night yankee dudes! ;-)