Field Day Update

glennk7gle

Jun 16, 2014, 11:39:31 PM6/16/14
to psrg...@googlegroups.com

A message from Doug Kingston, KG2IQ, our Field Day coordinator for 2014:

Dear PSRG member,

Field Day is almost here and PSRG will have a strong presence again this year. We will be establishing a multi-station site (Category A1) at South Seattle College again this year and we would like to invite you to participate in this year’s activities if you are able. We are looking for volunteers to help with setup and teardown as well as operating during the 24 hour period from 11am on Saturday 28th through 11am Sunday the 29th of June. We plan on operating a primary phone station (also usable for CW), a Get-One-The-Air (GOTA) station, and a VHF/UHF/satellite station.

Our setup will commence at 9am on Friday June 27th when the city of Seattle will deliver a trailer, tent and generators to the site. We'll immediately assemble the tent with their directions and open the trailer. Once that is finished (no later than 11am) and perhaps after a lunch/planning break, we will commence the setup of towers and antennas. This will probably run until its done or we run out of light. Final setup will commence on Saturday morning at 8:30am and finish by 11am when we start operating. Teardown will commence around noon on Sunday after a mandatory planning/safety meeting. A summary of our volunteer requests:

· Friday June 27: 9am-11am - setup of city provided equipment

· Friday Afternoon: noon-evening - setup towers, antennas, grounds, power and start testing

· Saturday June 28 8:30am-11am - final setup before operation commences

· Saturday 11am - Sunday 11am - participate in Field Day contest! Talk to lots of other stations!

· Sunday June 28 11:30am-7pm? - teardown (do all the setup stuff safely in reverse)

We have some people already for each of the categories, but we need more (7-8 for each session), and especially for the Friday setups and the Sunday teardown. If you can help with setup or teardown or just want to operate one or more of the stations during the contest, please send an email to kg...@arrl.net indicating which of the volunteer sessions you can help with. For setup and teardown, we will have people directing activities, so all you need to is show up and be willing to pitch in. Many hands will make the work go quickly and smoothly. We are also looking for 2-3 people to "captain" the phone station (helping people get started, organize operators/loggers, etc). We need quite a few operators; after all, we are on-the-air for 24 hours.

If you want to operate (and I strongly encourage you to do so, we will have some really great stations!), please indicate what station(s) you would like to operate (Phone, GOTA or VHF) and what times you are available to do so. I will be matching people up with available times so you don't arrive and have to wait 5 hrs for a chance to operate. You are also welcome to just hang out, which is also fun. By the way, you can come and camp on the field, and at least one person has chosen to bring their camper van. We also have an opportunity for operators to "meet the rig" June 22nd) prior to Field Day at Curt Black's (WR5J) from 1-4pm. This will let you learn about the rig (Elecraft K3) before Field Day. For more information contact: Doug KG2IQ or Curt WR5J.

If you would like to let friends, co-workers, or your community know about our Field Day activities, you are welcome to print and distribute or post the attached flyer. We encourage visitors of all kinds to our site and will be happy to show them ham radio in action, and with supervision of the control operator, can actually get-on-the-air! You can also reference our Field Day website: http://web.psrg.org/fieldday/

Again, I look forward to your response to our volunteer request and hope to see you at Field Day 2014.

73,

-Doug

KG2IQ