Special Membership Meeting at Annual Picnic (July 8th, 1pm, Magnolia Park)

Doug Kingston

Jun 14, 2017, 2:46:04 PM6/14/17
to psrg...@googlegroups.com

Special Membership Meeting – Vote on Articles of Incorporation Amendments

Saturday 8th July, 1pm, Magnolia Park, Seattle (at the PSRG Picnic)

At this year’s annual picnic, we will hold a special membership meeting to vote on amendments to our Articles of Incorporation. This vote is part of the work we have been doing to meet IRS 501(c)(3) requirements. While we recently received recognition as a charitable organization under 501(c)(3), we need to close on this final change to solidify our qualification and meet requirements. It also resolves some conflicts with the current Bylaws: the Articles say one thing and the Bylaws another.

We would like a good attendance at this 1pm meeting.  We expect the meeting to be brief.  There will also be a brief board meeting to appoint an interim Secretary-Treasurer to fill in the remainder of Aaron's term on the board (which ends in January).  Jim Long, K7PDZ, has agreed to fill this vacancy.

We will be voting on two Amendments at the special membership meeting.

Amendment 1 – Purpose

In a previous Annual Meeting, the PSRG Membership voted to amend our Bylaws to change the Purpose of the PSRG. Currently, the Purpose in the Bylaws conflicts with the Articles of Incorporation. Approving this Amendment will amend our Articles of Incorporation to remove this conflict, and to align with IRS requirements for 501(c)(3) organizations.

Current Article III

The purpose for which the corporation is organized are as follows:  To operate, maintain and provide a repeater communication for amateur radio operators within the Great Puget Sound Area.  Provide a repeater channel pair as designated by the ARRL for the purpose of experimentation, development and self expression of amateur radio operators.  Also provide communication service to the public in time of need during civildisasters (sic) or emergencies.  This group’s earning will not be for the benefit of any one or more members.

Proposed Article III

The corporation is organized for the Purpose described in its By-Laws exclusively for charitable, educational, and/or scientific purposes, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations described under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.

Amendment 2 – Dissolution

In a previous Annual Meeting, the PSRG Membership voted to amend our Bylaws to change how the PSRG would distribute its assets in the event of its dissolution. Currently, this section in the Bylaws conflicts with the Articles of Incorporation. Approving this Amendment will amend our Articles of Incorporation to remove this conflict, and to align with IRS requirements for 501(c)(3) organizations.

Current Article VI

In the event of dissolution of the corporation, the net assets are to be distributed as follows:  After a resolution of dissolution the Financial Committee will pay all bills after presenting them to the Board of Directors for approval and return all equipment on loan within 15 days.  Then there will an auction (sic) of all club property with the proceeds going to charity or to another amateur radio club.

Proposed Article VI

In the event of dissolution of the corporation, assets shall be distributed in accordance with its By-Laws for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose. Any such assets not disposed of shall be disposed of by a court of competent jurisdiction in the county in which the principal office of the corporation is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organizations or organizations, as said Court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes.

Regards,
  -Doug-, KD7DK
  Board President