New PSRG DMR repeater operational

Doug Kingston

Jan 12, 2019, 8:28:18 PM1/12/19
to psrg...@googlegroups.com
With material help from Randy (W3RWN) and labor from Casey (AE7SL), the Puget Sound Repeater Group has installed its test DMR repeater at Capitol Park.  This repeater is linked to and carries the core PNW-DMR (Pacific NorthWest DMR Group) talkgroups.  Please visit their website for more information on the PNW-DMR network, talkgroups, user technical guidelines, and operating best practices.

If you are going to operate DMR in this region, please join their email/notification group so you can receive operational notifications and be informed of network changes.

Now the details so you can program your radios.  Our repeater is new so its not in the existing codeplugs which you can download from the PNW-DMR website.

RX 440.775 / TX 445.775 (+5.0)  Color code 2
Callsign WW7PSR
This is a dedicated narrowband (12.5KHz) channel.
DMR Digital transmissions only.

The following talkgroups are supported:

Time slot 1:
Wash 1  (3153)
Local 1  (3181)
Tac 1  (8951)
PNW 1  (3187)
Parrot (9998) - This is a playback test talkgroup.

Time slot 2:
Wash 2  (103153)
Local 2  (3166)
Tac 2  (8952)
PNW 2  (103187)
PNWR (31771)

The equipment for this repeater is a Yaesu DR-1X operating at 20 watts into a modest gain antenna.  The digital modem is a Micro-Node Teensy-MMDVM connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 running MMDVM-Host and DMR-Gateway to interconnect to the PWN-DMR 2-slot gateway, known as Rex.  This is not the final configuration but one the group could launch quickly, and help us gain more information to inform our final equipment choices.

If you have not operated DMR before, please take some time to read some of the information for first time users before keying up.

We have been really pleased with the initial coverage reports.  Please let us know how you find the coverage.  We are currently running 5 watts, but that was a configuration mistake and it will shortly be set to 20 watts which will probably be the final setting for the test repeater.  Send questions and observations to te...@psrg.org.

Also please note that PNW-DMR is in the process of moving their web presence to a new hosting site and that some of the URLs referenced above may change in the future.

Regards,
  -Doug-, KD7DK