PSPseq on PSPgo, half byte loader

Luke Jackson

May 12, 2013, 6:07:11 AM5/12/13
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Its weird I just wrote a comment but it didnt appear so Ill try it again:

Ive got a few questions:

1.) I loaded PSPseq into half byte loader and got it running on PSPgo, just wondering do I need the FAT32 thing like before, or should it run at normal speed without it on PSPgo with halfbyte loader?

2.) Is PSPseq still in development?

3.) Would you consider reworking it into a tracker rather than a step sequencer?

4.)Would you port it to android and ios (using onscreen virtual button and joystick) to make cash moneys and get the program to more people?

Ethan Bordeaux

May 12, 2013, 10:38:18 AM5/12/13
to PSPSeq
Woo a real comment!  Nice to see one of those again.  :)

Its weird I just wrote a comment but it didnt appear so Ill try it again:

I moderate all first posts after getting a bit of spam; you should be able to post now.

1.) I loaded PSPseq into half byte loader and got it running on PSPgo, just wondering do I need the FAT32 thing like before, or should it run at normal speed without it on PSPgo with halfbyte loader?

Must admit I totally forgot about the PSPgo; I think it came out right around when development slowed for PSPSeq.  I'm not sure what the story is with running homebrew apps on the PSPgo and don't know what you mean about FAT32 or the halfbyte loader.  There was a bug in earlier versions where it wouldn't handle Memory Sticks that were 4GB+ but that's fixed.  Basically, if it seems like it's working OK it's probably working OK.  ;)  I'd check file load and save as that's somewhere things could break.  Curious to know if the PSPgo runs faster than the older PSPs.  Do all the demo songs run normally or do the glitch out?  Some of them approach 100% loading on the older PSPs so if they're fine and you can save/load SEQ files then you should be good to go, so to speak.

2.) Is PSPseq still in development?

Eh not really.  It's been years since I did any work on it and it's a pretty complicated project so I doubt I could make many timely improvements.  Plus as far as I know the PSP homebrew scene barely exists since everyone uses Android or iOS.

3.) Would you consider reworking it into a tracker rather than a step sequencer?

Hmmm, I guess I kind of considered PSPSeq tracker-ish even though I have not played around with that many trackers to be honest.  What exactly would you say would need to be different?  Vertical rows of data for controlling parameters?  More 8 bit hexadecimal values?  Less user friendly?  ;)

4.)Would you port it to android and ios (using onscreen virtual button and joystick) to make cash moneys and get the program to more people?

This is something I do think about.  My current job is writing Android applications (for DTS the home theater multichannel audio company FYI) so I have some experience in Android now and do think about writing audio apps for it.  That said I'm not sure I'd port PSPSeq.  I really don't like virtual joysticks and considering PSPSeq is already a bit of a beast to control I don't think I want to make it any more difficult.  Also my limited probing on the audio side made it seem like latency and throughput would be huge problems especially if I wanted to write PSPSeq in Java.  I know impressive audio apps are possible (SunVox) but not sure I have the time to design something that complex.  Because of hardware fragmentation the audio subsystems vary widely from device to device making it hard to design something truly universal and powerful at the same time.  More likely I may do something PSPSeq inspired from a sonic standpoint but simplified and utilizing the touch screen in ways that make more sense for that platform.  It's tough; I don't want to just make a toy but those are the apps that people are more likely to download and pay for.  PSPSeq was an attempt to make an all-in-one composition environment and push a single platform to its limits.  I think I succeeded in that but didn't really succeed in making something that had wide-spread usage and that's something I would focus more on next time around.

I don't know iOS development but I do know the port to Obj-C would be painful and I'm not sure I have the time these days to take that on.  Someday I'll learn it I'm sure, but Android would very likely come first.

So yeah, I guess I'd say don't be surprised if I write a music app for a modern platform but do be surprised if it it's as full-featured as PSPSeq.  Obviously if I do write something I'll pimp it out here.

Jeremy Landry

May 12, 2013, 1:54:16 PM5/12/13
to psp...@googlegroups.com
The new realtime audio API is coming soon to android...maybe that might persuade you to do something like pspseq... :D

Ethan Bordeaux

May 12, 2013, 3:09:53 PM5/12/13
to PSPSeq
I believe the new realtime audio API is always coming to Android.  ;)  Jelly Bean was supposed to help a lot in that realm and while it made things better it's still far from good.  The latency differences between the Nexus devices alone is kind of crazy (I believe the older Galaxy Nexus is the champ at around 25-30ms but then the more modern Nexus 10 tablet which is awesome in a lot of ways has ~100ms latency which is just laughable).  All comes down to what hardware audio chipset the manufacturer chooses.

That said, latency isn't quite so important if you're making a composition tool that's not geared toward real-time manipulation.  It makes things look janky but not unusable.  However since I'm thinking I really want to do something that takes advantage of the touch screen latency's a much bigger deal.  Alexander/SunVox has some interesting solutions to these problems but I'm not so sure I want to go down that path.  It would probably be easier to just write it for iOS instead (never mind being in a market where people want to pay $$$ more so than Google Play).

Luke Jackson

May 12, 2013, 4:28:25 PM5/12/13
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Hey! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Sorry I wrote FAT32 in my post before but I wanted to write "fatmsmod".
It took about 14 seconds to load the song called "HS00" while "KEIRA" took about 20 seconds, "FMDEMO" and "TEK" loaded pretty much instantly.
Is that about the same as it was on the other PSPs?
I couldnt get PSPseq to crash at all but notes stopped sounding occasionally, then I saved the song, reloaded it and sound came back...
it does this in latest LGPT Ghetto too occasionally.

I have two more questions:

1.) How do you stop the sequence?
2.)How do you play the song all the way through from beginning to end without stepping through the sequences yourself?

OPINIONS:

PSPseq is awesome! The generators sound really good and interesting.

The first thing to do for me was:
START -SYSTEM - DISPLAY - LOAD COLORS - COLOR PRESET 4.
It looks slick and all the activated steps really stand out clearly!

I found the analog stick to be too sensitive (even with the left shoulder button held) so I changed sensitivity:
START - SYSTEM - CONTROL - APAD SCALAR - APAD SENSITIVITY: 0

I'm going to go and print out the manual and watch all your tutorials then get more seriously into this.
Its a shame its no longer in development because its really decent software and everything is explained in your tutorials.
Going to use it together with LGPT, then sample things into SUNVOX to finish...should be extra sweet.

Apart from PSPseq, LSDJ and LGPT are the only good music programs Ive found that use gamepad style controls.
I keep using them because they are really "tweakable in the details" but also because gamepad controls means you can compose music slouched in a sofa really comfortably.

If you decide to do some android software...hope you use the gamepad style controls. Like Nvidia shield, JXD, ARKOS gaming tablet or samsung gamepad style..or even onscreen touch gamepad style.

I dont know if its just me but Ive found almost all touchscreen based sequencers quite annoying to use for a long period of time if your not placing the tablet/phone on a desk...with one exception which is SUNVOX because its so well thought out and just generally amazing! android/iphone nanoloop could have been awesome because you can operate it all with just your thumb and you dont need to "cradle and prod" but in the end it was a bit lame, only two editable parameters per step. Like you can have volume envelope and one other effect but it could have so easily been all effects per step...it a shame. sorry for my rant here.

Jeremy Landry

May 12, 2013, 4:36:02 PM5/12/13
to psp...@googlegroups.com
If I remember correctly, pushing select or whatever button PSP used as that button takes you to bottom of the screen for BPM and such.  If you scroll over, you can switch PATT into SONG.  Or something like that.  It's been a LOOOOONG time...lol

The docs are very clean and useful for this software.  But definitely print out the controls cheat sheet.  It's more important than anything for new users as the actual sequencer itself is much more straight forward than LSDJ/LGPT.

Luke Jackson

May 12, 2013, 4:54:01 PM5/12/13
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, listening to the demo tracks now. Thanks :)

Luke Jackson

May 12, 2013, 5:05:26 PM5/12/13
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Crashed a few times but only when song was stopped and trying to view the list of sequences under SONG. PSP restarts.

Ethan Bordeaux

May 12, 2013, 5:23:56 PM5/12/13
to PSPSeq
Sorry I wrote FAT32 in my post before but I wanted to write "fatmsmod".
It took about 14 seconds to load the song called "HS00" while "KEIRA" took about 20 seconds, "FMDEMO" and "TEK" loaded pretty much instantly.
Is that about the same as it was on the other PSPs?
I couldnt get PSPseq to crash at all but notes stopped sounding occasionally, then I saved the song, reloaded it and sound came back...
it does this in latest LGPT Ghetto too occasionally.

Hmmm, very strange.  Never saw this on the PSP-1000.  By the time 3.01 came around it was quite stable - not aware of any way to crash it.  Load times sound slow but not crazy slow.  I think it's about 2x faster on my PSP vs the Go.

I have two more questions:

1.) How do you stop the sequence?

I think HS answered this one but yeah it's SELECT to get to the transport at the bottom of the screen then use the D-pad up/down to toggle the sequencer on/off (and then SELECT again to exit the transport).  You know you're in the transport if one of the parameters is highlighted.

2.)How do you play the song all the way through from beginning to end without stepping through the sequences yourself?

Go to the transport, stop playing then go to LOOP (D pad left) and then press up to toggle from LOOP to SONG.  Then go back to STOP/PLAY and press X - this resets the sequencer.  If it's in SONG mode it resets the entire song and if it's in LOOP mode it just goes back to the start of the current loop.  Press up to go from STOP to PLAY and you're good.

OPINIONS:

PSPseq is awesome! The generators sound really good and interesting.

The first thing to do for me was:
START -SYSTEM - DISPLAY - LOAD COLORS - COLOR PRESET 4.
It looks slick and all the activated steps really stand out clearly!

Thank HS for pretty much all the other color schemes.  I still primarily use the green screen but I know it's a bit of an eyesore as well.

I found the analog stick to be too sensitive (even with the left shoulder button held) so I changed sensitivity:
START - SYSTEM - CONTROL - APAD SCALAR - APAD SENSITIVITY: 0

Huh, first time I've heard that.  Glad you found the left shoulder button control, most people miss it.

I'm going to go and print out the manual and watch all your tutorials then get more seriously into this.
Its a shame its no longer in development because its really decent software and everything is explained in your tutorials.
Going to use it together with LGPT, then sample things into SUNVOX to finish...should be extra sweet.

All the big ideas I had would have required some serious re-engineering that's one reason I've left it behind.  Also, while no music making program is ever really complete I do think it does what I set out for so I don't have too many regrets for where it is now.

Apart from PSPseq, LSDJ and LGPT are the only good music programs Ive found that use gamepad style controls.
I keep using them because they are really "tweakable in the details" but also because gamepad controls means you can compose music slouched in a sofa really comfortably.

Agreed there.  I'm not a huge fan of touch screens for composition but they are nice to noodle around with.  That's one reason I'd tend towards making a less complete app on Android or iOS; touch screens are awesome for immediate response and real-time control so I'd stay more in that design realm for those platforms.

If you decide to do some android software...hope you use the gamepad style controls. Like Nvidia shield, JXD, ARKOS gaming tablet or samsung gamepad style..or even onscreen touch gamepad style.

I dont know if its just me but Ive found almost all touchscreen based sequencers quite annoying to use for a long period of time if your not placing the tablet/phone on a desk...with one exception which is SUNVOX because its so well thought out and just generally amazing! android/iphone nanoloop could have been awesome because you can operate it all with just your thumb and you dont need to "cradle and prod" but in the end it was a bit lame, only two editable parameters per step. Like you can have volume envelope and one other effect but it could have so easily been all effects per step...it a shame. sorry for my rant here.

Rant away especially if it's about someone else's program!  ;)

Ethan Bordeaux

May 12, 2013, 5:25:09 PM5/12/13
to PSPSeq
That's gotta be something to do with running homebrew on the Go.  Never happens for me (nor can I imagine why it would happen in that context).  Sorry about that!

Jeremy Landry

May 12, 2013, 5:35:46 PM5/12/13
to psp...@googlegroups.com
I think Luke might be the one guy I heard that actually bought the Go.  lol

I mean, I'd heard rumors of a PSPGo selling, but here you are!  j/k...

Ethan Bordeaux

May 12, 2013, 5:37:51 PM5/12/13
to PSPSeq
the fact that i actually had to google it says something as well.  i honestly thought he was making something up or it was a typo.  ;)

sorry Luke!  it does look like a nice form factor and the PSP may have been more successful if they'd moved to that design earlier on.

Luke Jackson

May 12, 2013, 6:04:46 PM5/12/13
to psp...@googlegroups.com
I bought it yesterday lol. So cheap! pretty sweet already LGPT and PSPseq.
Thanks for the software man, Ill come back and post some songs in here in the future.

HS003 is pretty epic!