Discussion on pspseq-future-features

11hzrobot

Aug 31, 2008, 1:53:31 PM8/31/08
to PSPSeq
four way navigation editing when naming things like loops songs and
when editing synth parameter values like endoffset, offset where there
are more that a few options to scroll through (it would not be useful
for anything other than number values and letters). Even though the
fast scrolling helps alot it would be so much faster if you could
enter the values (numbers or letters) using a up down left or right +
select on a grid screen. It would look something like this:
http://mp3death.us/tute/images/lesson01/tute10.GIF
maybe keep the scoll editing but add the 4 way navigation editing that
can be reached with some button combo.

Matt Battaglia

Sep 1, 2008, 9:46:04 AM9/1/08
to psp...@googlegroups.com
that would be pretty neato, I second that.  Poor Ethan, the guy gets bombarded on a daily basis..   : )

11hzrobot

Sep 1, 2008, 11:01:27 AM9/1/08
to PSPSeq
yeah he does, but feature request means people are into the app enough
to want them.

On Sep 1, 6:46 am, Matt Battaglia <seventhirty2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> that would be pretty neato, I second that. Poor Ethan, the guy gets bombarded on a daily basis.. : )
>
> --- On Sun, 8/31/08, 11hzrobot <11hzro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From: 11hzrobot <11hzro...@gmail.com>

ethan

Sep 2, 2008, 8:48:47 AM9/2/08
to PSPSeq
agreed. i'd rather hear requests for features than nothing at all.
plus feedback is really useful for 2 reasons:

1. i don't get the chance to use my program as much as a lot of you
so i don't run into some of the usability issues.
2. i'm so used to how the program works that it's hard to think about
it working differently. a fresh perspective helps get me out of ruts.

i'll add this to the list, the name creation code could use an update
and i think this would probably be an improvement. i wrote the
original code way back when and just wanted to get it to work rather
than focus on doing it right.

H- Seiken

Sep 9, 2008, 1:54:16 PM9/9/08
to psp...@googlegroups.com
On naming things...

I've noticed there's one place that could use a bit of polish:  naming presets.  Everything HAS to have a set amount of characters when just about everything else that can be named doesn't require a set amount of characters, it just has a limit (i.e. you could name something simply 'Z' whereas presets must be named 'ZZZZZZZZ'.

It's been on my mind a while, but it wasn't really a big issue, but since the nav thing was brought up, figured i'd throw down my 2 pesos.

11hzrobot

Sep 9, 2008, 7:11:16 PM9/9/08
to PSPSeq
good idea.

On Sep 9, 10:54 am, "H- Seiken" <haky...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On naming things...
>
> I've noticed there's one place that could use a bit of polish: naming
> presets. Everything HAS to have a set amount of characters when just about
> everything else that can be named doesn't require a set amount of
> characters, it just has a limit (i.e. you could name something simply 'Z'
> whereas presets must be named 'ZZZZZZZZ'.
>
> It's been on my mind a while, but it wasn't really a big issue, but since
> the nav thing was brought up, figured i'd throw down my 2 pesos.

Ethan Bordeaux

Sep 10, 2008, 9:10:50 AM9/10/08
to psp...@googlegroups.com
not sure i get what the issue is.  you can have preset names (both preset files and the actual preset) that are a single character.  to delete characters in a preset name press the O button.  are there problems with that?

11hzrobot

Sep 10, 2008, 10:58:50 AM9/10/08
to PSPSeq
No problems, it just got overlooked.

On Sep 10, 6:10 am, "Ethan Bordeaux" <ethan.borde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> not sure i get what the issue is. you can have preset names (both preset
> files and the actual preset) that are a single character. to delete
> characters in a preset name press the O button. are there problems with
> that?
>
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM, H- Seiken <haky...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On naming things...
>
> > I've noticed there's one place that could use a bit of polish: naming
> > presets. Everything HAS to have a set amount of characters when just about
> > everything else that can be named doesn't require a set amount of
> > characters, it just has a limit (i.e. you could name something simply 'Z'
> > whereas presets must be named 'ZZZZZZZZ'.
>
> > It's been on my mind a while, but it wasn't really a big issue, but since
> > the nav thing was brought up, figured i'd throw down my 2 pesos.

yinpho...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2009, 5:45:31 AM2/2/09
to PSPSeq
I know this is an old post- but i don't see a newer post for
requests.
I've emailed Ethan of this matter: Synthesized speech.

In short, It would be both a useful and interesting feature.

P-23

Feb 21, 2009, 4:56:08 PM2/21/09
to PSPSeq
MIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDI

HI,...

First thx for this (Homebrew) audio software,...very good
soundquality,...and proper synthsounds,.....also a nice workflow.

a midiclock to midi-in via w-lan or. usb-connecter would be very
nice,....
seq could be a very nice tool for Liveset or portable-tek-sessions)

please MIDI-IN

MIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDIMIDI

P-23

Feb 21, 2009, 4:43:55 PM2/21/09
to PSPSeq
midimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidi

ohh ,...please work on midiclock vai midi-in w-lan,..........

thx for this (homebrew) audio-software,very good sound-quality and
synthsounds,....also a nice workflow,...
with midi it would be a very usefull tool ,.....(live-set ,...portabel-
tek-set ,....)

midimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidimidi

ethan

Feb 21, 2009, 5:44:22 PM2/21/09
to PSPSeq
Hey glad you're digging PSPSeq. As for MIDI-sync, yeah I agree it
would be cool. I think the guy who made lgpt (a tracker for the PSP
and GP2X) is looking into it with some level of seriousness. My hope
is that I can piggyback on some of his work to get sync in there.

Welcome!

flatterpunk

Mar 4, 2009, 9:46:03 AM3/4/09
to PSPSeq
Ethan, great program, thanks a ton. You've made my commuting time
bearable!

All in all, aside from the slightly frustrating interface (I blame the
PSP layout more than you or your app; so far I find the solutions
you've programmed pretty ingenious), PSPSeq could easily be my primary
computer music environment. Since I'm primarily into live
instruments, there's no real reason for me to be stuck behind a
computer monitor when I'm at home -- if I've got PSPSeq on the road.
Anyway, there are of course just a few niggles that prevent me from
relying on PSPSeq for just about everything. I'm a pretty new user,
and my apologies if I've missed something in the tutorials that can
already be done.

-- More flexibility in loop lengths. This is the primary issue for
me. I realize we can use different length patterns but that still
doesn't allow us to get more complex rhythms and melodies without
relying on extremely good memories or planning (i.e. if I want to work
on a long, but somewhat complicated, 168-beat loop, I can create a
temporary song sequence around 8 21-beat loops, but not only is this a
PITA but it's also afaik not really practical to edit while you're
listening to your loop in song mode). Although I realize the
programming might be a PITA for you, I'd love to see a PSPSeq where we
can set any number of what are currently called loops as a loop.
Ideally, the transport of the song would optionally be independent of
the display, allowing us to set up fast-paced, super-long loops that
we could edit freely while listening to what we're creating.

-- I know this one might be weird, and something I'm not as worried
about but think would make a huge difference to most people's editing
speed -- preview of notes as you change the params, or perhaps better,
whenever you feel like triggering the note manually. So if I'm
tweaking beat #30 of a track in a fairly slow loop, I don't have to
wait for the loop to come back, I can preview that note whenever I
want -- this is a really a speedier way to write when you lack
graphical representations of your settings, IMO. For example, in
editors with more horsepower or screen real estate, it's easy enough
to edit because you have a visual cue as to what 2184.48 Hz sounds
like, relatively speaking, or what "5.09858229 offset" is doing to the
spectrograph. But real-time preview in those environs is still a
great boon. Here we can't do it really real-time, that seems
impractical, but I can't see why we couldn't trigger the note we're
editing more or less at will...

-- I reserve the right to think of something else ^^;

Of course I'll take what I can get. Having some limitations is still
fun, but I hope you can continue to make PSPseq more flexible. It
would be a shame, I think, to let such a cool and expressive little
synthesizer fail to shake off all escapable limitations!

-chris

flatterpunk

Mar 5, 2009, 1:00:25 AM3/5/09
to PSPSeq
Meh. I now see that my ideas were already proposed in another thread
^^; well... consider this a +1 vote?

-chris

11hzrobot

Mar 5, 2009, 5:59:00 PM3/5/09
to PSPSeq
A well written and expertly argued +1.

"It would be a shame, I think, to let such a cool and expressive
little
synthesizer fail to shake off all escapable limitations!"

I feel the same way.

segoh...@gmx.net

Apr 6, 2009, 6:11:24 PM4/6/09
to PSPSeq
On 4 Mrz., 16:46, flatterpunk <chrispo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -- More flexibility in loop lengths. This is the primary issue for
> me. [...]

This is also my primary issue. I really miss the ability to define a
loop specific
SEQLEN or something like the HOP command in LSDJ/LGPT to skip all
remaining sequencer steps in the current loop.

And while I am at it here are also some workflow improvements:

- Allow editing in song mode so that we can loop the parts that need
some fine-tuning
- Select steps for "latched mode" directly from step sequencer

> preview of notes as you change the params, or perhaps better,
> whenever you feel like triggering the note manually.

Great idea.

Nit-picking aside this is definitely one of the coolest applications
for the PSP.
Thanks so much Ethan!