User WAV files not working

Gustav J

Jan 31, 2014, 4:48:42 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

So I went back to my PSP1000 again. Running CFW 6.60 PRO-C2 and everything seems to work with the exception of a few small and avoidable bugs. However, I never really tried to mess around with my own wave files. So I decided to convert some 909 and 808 Goldbaby samples to 44.1kHz, 16-bit, with max 8 characters as the manual states, but when I try to load those wav files on PSPSEQ, I just get clicks and sometimes I don't hear anything at all. The samples that come with PSPSEQ work perfectly but for some reason anything I load won't work.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

Jeremy Landry

Jan 31, 2014, 4:56:45 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
ADPCM isn't supported.  Make sure they're not compressed waves first.

Ethan Bordeaux

Jan 31, 2014, 5:03:25 PM1/31/14
to PSPSeq
First off I'm surprised and happy to see a question so many years later.  Nice.  Go make lots of music.  :)

Can you send me the size of the file along with the length of the sample?  it's easy to tell if they're compressed based on that.  A 1 second 44.1k, 16-bit stereo sample will be just about 176.4 kbytes (44.1k samples/second * 1 second * 2 bytes per sample * 2 channels).  My WAV handler is a little janky at the edges but for "normal" WAV files it seems to work fine.

Gustav J

Jan 31, 2014, 5:08:34 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jeremy, I'm looking now how to convert from ADPCM to PCM. I'm using DSPQuattro as an audio editor.

Ethan, thanks for the response. I'll take a random kick sample - it is 25kb large, sample rate of 44,100, bit rate of 16, mono. Duration is a fraction of a second. The info window of the wav file says 00:00 :)

Cheers

Gustav J

Jan 31, 2014, 5:28:28 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
I don't think the Goldbaby files are compressed. Can't seem to find a way to convert, though I'm not even sure how to verify if they are compressed or not. From the file size it doesn't seem like they are.

Jeremy Landry

Jan 31, 2014, 6:54:55 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Ethan can probably answer this, but the WAV machine is mono only.  Are your files mono or stereo?  Try converting to mono if they are.

The last solution is check other files downloaded off the internet and see if they load.  It seems to be directly related to the files themselves.

Ethan Bordeaux

Jan 31, 2014, 8:12:58 PM1/31/14
to PSPSeq
PSPSeq can deal with mono and stereo files; it'll mix to mono.

As for why these files aren't working I'm kind of at a loss.  I think I used Audacity for creating the samples in PSPSeq.  Maybe try recreating in there?  There's a header at the start of every WAV file and maybe the program you're using to make your WAV files is making a header that I can't parse properly.  Sorry about this.  :\

Cody Gratner

Jan 31, 2014, 5:31:19 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Goldbaby files might be 24 bit? Does PSPSEQ support 24 bit?

- Cody

Ethan Bordeaux

Jan 31, 2014, 8:25:51 PM1/31/14
to PSPSeq
Nope don't do 24 bit.  Good thought!  There's a ton of flexibility in the WAV spec for data formats.  I just supported the most basic varieties.

Gustav J

Jan 31, 2014, 8:33:00 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
Yes they are 24-bit but I had already converted the files to 16-bit before. Exporting files with Audacity now to see if that changes anything.

Gustav J

Jan 31, 2014, 8:36:13 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
No, still just getting clicks. Built-in samples work fine. Envelopes have full sustain/release so it's not an issue with that.

I'm going to try to load a sample that isn't from Goldbaby...

Gustav J

Jan 31, 2014, 8:46:36 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
It's the Goldbaby files. I have no idea why...

Sorry all, probably should have tried other samples before.

- G

Jeremy Landry

Jan 31, 2014, 8:54:02 PM1/31/14
to psp...@googlegroups.com
A work around...don't resave the same samples...

Instead, resample the samples...i.e. play them in one player, record with another, save brand new files.

This might work around whatever is inherently wrong with them.

Ethan Bordeaux

Jan 31, 2014, 9:36:46 PM1/31/14
to PSPSeq
Are you using this product?

Says the files are 96/24.  I'd definitely try importing/exporting via Audacity.  First time I've heard of people having trouble with samples, but I don't know how often people loaded in their own.