Looking at building ADC24 boards

Chuck Jopson

Dec 24, 2022, 10:29:32 PM12/24/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Larry Cochrane's excellent documentation, it is feasible for
me to build his ADC24 boards.
After entering the BOM, it looks like the cost of a 4 channel board will
be around $160.

Who is interested in getting a board at this price?

For information about the board, do a web search on PSN-ADC24.

Please let me know if you want a board by posting on the net or sending
me an email.

Thanks,
Chuck Jopson

August Johnson

Dec 24, 2022, 10:35:56 PM12/24/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
A couple years ago I had a batch of 9 bare PSN-ADC24 boards made. I populated one, was tough at the peak of the supply chain problems. I want to keep a couple more pc boards for myself but have 6 that are available. They were so cheap to have made, something like $5 each.  If someone wants a board, contact me.

August Johnson KG7BZ

Gerald Payton

Dec 25, 2022, 10:23:17 AM12/25/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
VERY Interesting, August.  From your post, I assume your boards are not populated.  I also assume that Chuck's proposal is populated boards.

August, have the CPUs been programmed and the method of payment, please?

What are you asking for the unpopulated boards, please?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck, this might alleviate you from a lot of work.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to ALL.
Jerry AB5R

August Johnson

Dec 25, 2022, 11:43:14 AM12/25/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Just to clarify, these are totally bare boards. I don't have any more CPU chips, I had enough trouble getting parts a couple years ago. I even had to rob the USB interface chip from a module I had!

August Johnson KG7BZ

ADC24.jpg

August Johnson

Dec 25, 2022, 11:54:56 AM12/25/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
And for anyone else who might want to order boards from jclpcb, it works very easily. You just select the double sided board option and upload the .zip file containing the gerbers. I had my boards within a week.

August KG7BZ

Gerald Payton

Dec 25, 2022, 12:00:11 PM12/25/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Looks GREAT.

Chuck and I were investigating this project, but maybe you may be our answer.  I'll await Chuck's reply for his input.  I suspect that he is buried in holiday festivities and not visiting the PSN List often.

That being said, I definitely want and NEED one!  Please tell us your price, please.  Of course, if Chuck's quote included populated boards, that may be my best option.

73,
Jerry AB5R

August Johnson

Dec 25, 2022, 12:10:40 PM12/25/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
I don't need any payment or postage for these boards. They were so cheap for the 9 that the the three that I'm keeping is worth the total. I just want to make sure that they will be used. Send me private message with mailing address and I'll get back to you about it.

August KG7BZ

Gerald Payton

Dec 25, 2022, 12:46:57 PM12/25/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Great, I will send an email via your ARRL email address if that works.

Thank you,
Jerry

Chuck Jopson

Dec 25, 2022, 2:09:26 PM12/25/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
As I mentioned to Jerry privately, we should find out who would like an assembled PSN-ADC24 board,
and have the needed boards shipped to me for assembly. The $160 price would drop a bit since it included the
current price of a board from JLCPCB.

Thanks,
Chuck

Gerald Payton

Dec 25, 2022, 2:59:56 PM12/25/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Chuck,

Did I misunderstand your first post?  The estimate of $160 would be populated. Is that correct?  Who quoted this estimate?

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Jerry

Chuck Jopson

Dec 25, 2022, 8:07:29 PM12/25/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Yes, $160 is the cost of the board and parts to populate it.
I will do the assembly, programming and send a completed board.
It is a combination of component prices from Mouser and Jameco.
I won't know the exact cost until all components are ordered, but $160 is close.

Chuck

Gerald Payton

Dec 25, 2022, 9:39:47 PM12/25/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Sounds good.  Sign me up on your list for one.
Jerry

Weldon Bauman

Dec 26, 2022, 3:39:06 AM12/26/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Please add me to the list for a populated board.
Thanks,
Weldon - kj6iod

On Dec 25, 2022, at 6:39 PM, Gerald Payton <aytonge...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sounds good.  Sign me up on your list for one.

Christopher Chapman

Dec 26, 2022, 8:16:47 AM12/26/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chuck,

    I am definitely interested in buying one, please. Can you check your "SPAM" Folder, please ?

    Regards,

    Chris Chapman

Chuck Jopson

Dec 26, 2022, 10:30:00 AM12/26/22
to 'Christopher Chapman' via Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Chris,
Yes, I have you down for a board.

Chuck

Chuck Jopson

Dec 28, 2022, 9:10:56 AM12/28/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
So I will order parts for 6 ADC24 boards:

2 for August,
1 for me (Chuck),
1 for Jerry,
1 for Chris Chapman.
1 for Weldon Bauman

I will have a better idea of the cost once I order the parts but right
now it looks to be around $160.
I am not sure how long it will take me to assemble/program/test the
boards, but I am shooting for
the first half of February as long as 'real' work and parts availability
don't get in the way.
I have already ordered the varactors and the paste stencil.

Chuck

Christopher Chapman

Dec 28, 2022, 10:21:56 AM12/28/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chuck,

    Great ! Take it at your own pace - I am not desperate - Jerry may be !

    Regards,

    Chris

Chuck

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/b0c59bfb-2da5-3a19-7d04-44440ac44073%40growpro-inc.com.

August Johnson

Dec 28, 2022, 10:40:14 AM12/28/22
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Chuck,

I'll get the bare boards mailed to you in the next couple days.

August

Michael

Dec 29, 2022, 7:13:03 PM12/29/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
If it’s not too late, can I get in for one board?  If it is too late, maybe keep my name for any additional runs.
Thanks!!
Mike Kimzey

August Johnson

Dec 29, 2022, 7:15:16 PM12/29/22
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Unfortunately all the boards I have are now committed.

August KG7BZ

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Public Seismic Network Mailing List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/9FD2C6F4-C020-46F9-959B-B46CD21913A7%40gmail.com.

Chuck Jopson

Jan 28, 2023, 12:57:37 PM1/28/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
The 6 ADC24 boards are assembled and I have flashed Larry's code into
them via the USB port.
I still have to test them by connecting them to WinADR.

Below is my list of recipients for the boards.
Could you all email your shipping address to my personal email?

Price of a board will be $150 plus shipping. I will email you with
shipping cost and tracking
after I have shipped them, do not pay me until then.

I am not sure how long it will take me to test the boards, hopefully
only a week or so.
Please note that I built them with the resistor network shown on the
schematics,
+-2.5 volt input(i think...) with a 45Hz lowpass filter. If you need
something different from this,
you will have to change out the input resistors.

Thanks,
Chuck

James Skinner

Feb 5, 2023, 11:30:34 AM2/5/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Just a general question for the group, has anyone tried using just one of the Garmin GPS Pucks on multiple 24 Bit Digitizers ? My digitizers are all
stacked  on top of each other and I was hoping to be able to just parallel the GPS output to all three of them.

Jim Skinner, Tucson, AZ

James Skinner

Feb 5, 2023, 11:43:18 AM2/5/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Additional comment:  I would hope to just use one digitizer to power the GPS receiver and fan out the timing signal to all three.

Was planning to do the same with the main power to the digitizer stack as it's coming from a medium sized UPS for backup power.

Jim Skinner, Tucson, AZ

Larry Cochrane

Feb 5, 2023, 1:29:14 PM2/5/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

Yes you can drive multiple digitizers with one GPS receiver. You will need to make a special Y cable so that only one
digitizer supplies +5VDC, ground and the transmit output line from the digitizer. The other digitizer only gets ground,
GPS receiver output and the 1 PPS signals.

Regards,
-Larry

On 2/5/2023 8:43 AM, James Skinner wrote:
> Additional comment:  I would hope to just use one digitizer to power the GPS receiver and fan out the timing signal to
> all three.
>
> Was planning to do the same with the main power to the digitizer stack as it's coming from a medium sized UPS for backup
> power.
>
> Jim Skinner, Tucson, AZ
>

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2023 at 9:30 AM James Skinner <k6b...@gmail.com <mailto:k6b...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Just a general question for the group, has anyone tried using just one of the Garmin GPS Pucks on multiple 24 Bit
> Digitizers ? My digitizers are all
> stacked  on top of each other and I was hoping to be able to just parallel the GPS output to all three of them.
>
> Jim Skinner, Tucson, AZ
>
> psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psnlist%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/7bf50504-d8e3-9ecb-a3e1-8c8d326d3538%40growpro-inc.com>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAJuKPCyyQ3f-%2BV4%3DhMg1Nc7fUWTyZwJp3-GsqzctBXe5kCDCyw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAJuKPCyyQ3f-%2BV4%3DhMg1Nc7fUWTyZwJp3-GsqzctBXe5kCDCyw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

James Skinner

Feb 5, 2023, 1:45:55 PM2/5/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
- Larry -

Perfect, can you tell me which pins need to go to the "slaved" digitizers please.  I had been contemplating trying to do that
for several years, but now that I'll be running three of your 24 Bit Digitizers, I have plumb run out of room on my ceiling !!

Jim

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/0f0c68c6-c698-e3f3-815a-e97d2bd98ab6%40webtronics.com.

Larry Cochrane

Feb 5, 2023, 10:00:21 PM2/5/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Using this page as a reference https://www.seismicnet.com/gps/gps18.html you need pin 1 (1PPS), pin 2 (Serial Data
Output) and pin 5 (ground) wired to the second digitizer.

-Larry

On 2/5/2023 10:45 AM, James Skinner wrote:
> [...]
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/7bf50504-d8e3-9ecb-a3e1-8c8d326d3538%40growpro-inc.com>>.
> >
> > --
> psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psnlist%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psnlist%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAJuKPCyyQ3f-%2BV4%3DhMg1Nc7fUWTyZwJp3-GsqzctBXe5kCDCyw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAJuKPCyyQ3f-%2BV4%3DhMg1Nc7fUWTyZwJp3-GsqzctBXe5kCDCyw%40mail.gmail.com>
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAJuKPCyyQ3f-%2BV4%3DhMg1Nc7fUWTyZwJp3-GsqzctBXe5kCDCyw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAJuKPCyyQ3f-%2BV4%3DhMg1Nc7fUWTyZwJp3-GsqzctBXe5kCDCyw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

James Skinner

Feb 6, 2023, 12:04:31 AM2/6/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
- Larry -

Thanks for the prompt response.

Jim

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/99a0fa8d-a4d0-d42d-a52d-da2b1ac0acab%40webtronics.com.

Xavier Bernard

Aug 16, 2023, 4:31:52 PM8/16/23
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Hi Chuck,

Do you still have the BOMs for the different AmpFilter versions (3,4 channels)?

I cannot find them on GitHub right now.

Thanks!!
Xavier

Jonathan

Aug 16, 2023, 5:45:57 PM8/16/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavior,

Chuck only built the ADC24 boards and there was already a BOM for those.

Jonathan

Stefan Pittelkow

Aug 17, 2023, 7:07:42 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier,
do you mean this one?
I'm also interested in building that board. Maybe we can make a bulk order.
Let me know!

Thanks
Stefan

--
sdr24adc_bom.txt

Mark Robinson

Aug 17, 2023, 7:46:47 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com, Stefan Pittelkow
I've tidied this up a bit. No checking or verification done. See
attached CSV file.

On 17/08/23 23:07, Stefan Pittelkow wrote:
> Hi Xavier,
> do you mean this one?
> I'm also interested in building that board. Maybe we can make a bulk order.
> Let me know!
>
> Thanks
> Stefan
>
> Am Mi., 16. Aug. 2023 um 22:31 Uhr schrieb Xavier Bernard
> <xav...@lynkz.ca <mailto:xav...@lynkz.ca>>:
> <mailto:psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/c2870241-4bc2-4064-a34f-af2f3dd27119n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/c2870241-4bc2-4064-a34f-af2f3dd27119n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAE1xv5EnjCRnz2ZbzjHg_epss%3Djk6v68GjreOy8%3DXLqQgSy3CQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAE1xv5EnjCRnz2ZbzjHg_epss%3Djk6v68GjreOy8%3DXLqQgSy3CQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
sdr24adc_bom_tidied.csv

Jonathan

Aug 17, 2023, 9:22:38 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
I had trouble getting some of the parts. The FT232RL-REEL was backordered with no backorder date, but there is stock in the FT232RNL-REEL which is a good substitute if you want to build a board. You can read about it here

Jonathan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/0211a665-ee4b-c12d-d14f-bc0abd199a43%40zl2tod.net.

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 9:34:30 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for replying.

I see. I will check that out then.

We're a electronics design business so we'll manage.

For those interested in getting some boards professionally assembled at an assembly house let me know.

Also, we plan on making a newer version with LTE and Bluetooth. Change some parts for newer ones, etc...

Jonathan, can you share what you have so far?

Best,
Xavier

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 9:35:09 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com, Stefan Pittelkow
Awesome, thanks Stefan!

Jonathan

Aug 17, 2023, 9:44:10 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier,

The board designs are not permitted for commercial use. They are designed and supported by Larry and you will have to get permission from him if you want to use his design in a commercial venture.

That Digi-Key cart for the 3-channel amplifier board is long gone, but I'm not going to support commercial use either, if that is your intention.

Jonathan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/56da7bb4-e538-42f5-ac46-ce3edd5658c6%40lynkz.ca.

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 9:49:47 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

Got it. I tought this was open source as some of the older clients cannot get these boards anymore.

That is why I am here. His old clients in the mining industry need those and contacted us.

Maybe I missed the license file somewhere?

Best,
Xavier

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 9:51:39 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Is this the one for the AmpFilter?

I was able to find the other BOM on the GitHub repo.

Best,
Xavier

Jonathan

Aug 17, 2023, 10:01:19 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavior,

It is open source, but if you are making profit, you need to ask permission from Larry.

Jonathan

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 10:11:14 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jonathan,

I was indeed planning on making a bit of a margin, otherwise we really don't have the time to spare.

Anyone knows how to contact him? I have tried several things to no avail.

Best,

Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
Président / President
Lynkz Instruments inc.
m: 1-(819)-342-4437
w: www.lynkz.ca  e: xav...@lynkz.ca

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 10:15:45 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stefan,

I just need to check with Larry if he doesn't mind us getting the boards available for everyone again. I am gathering some quotes right now to see how much it would cost.

Best,

Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
Président / President
Lynkz Instruments inc.
m: 1-(819)-342-4437
w: www.lynkz.ca  e: xav...@lynkz.ca
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Public Seismic Network Mailing List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAE1xv5EnjCRnz2ZbzjHg_epss%3Djk6v68GjreOy8%3DXLqQgSy3CQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 10:24:20 AM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, I meant Mark. Getting a bit lost in this thread!

I believe the CSV contains parts for the PSN-ADC24. I was looking for the other AmpFilter boards BOM. I will check with my client if they're willing to put in some effort in order to get this done.

Best,

Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
Président / President
Lynkz Instruments inc.
m: 1-(819)-342-4437
w: www.lynkz.ca  e: xav...@lynkz.ca
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/56da7bb4-e538-42f5-ac46-ce3edd5658c6%40lynkz.ca.

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 12:03:24 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jonathan,

I am sorry I made you angry, that was not my wish.

I asked, I was honest with you, you refused, you had the right and I thank you for your time.

We decided to re-create a new BOM with stocked/active parts for both boards. I will be more than happy to share them here when we're done.

Best,

Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
Président / President
Lynkz Instruments inc.
m: 1-(819)-342-4437
w: www.lynkz.ca  e: xav...@lynkz.ca

Aug 17, 2023, 1:27:39 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in an updated ADC24 board — please continue to post your progress here. Regards, Steve Hammond PSNsanjose.com

Sent from my iPhone

Jonathan

Aug 17, 2023, 1:30:48 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

I must emphasize, any use of Larry's works for commercial purposes should be approved by Larry, otherwise, it's infringement.

Jonathan

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 1:32:15 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jonathan,

Don't worry. Everything I am planning to do is conditional to Larry's agreement.

Best,

Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
Président / President
Lynkz Instruments inc.
m: 1-(819)-342-4437
w: www.lynkz.ca  e: xav...@lynkz.ca

Larry Cochrane

Aug 17, 2023, 3:09:40 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier and Jonathan,

Anyone can make my old boards for either personal or commercial usage. At this point I really don't care who makes them.

Regards,
Larry Cochrane
Webtronics

On 8/17/2023 10:32 AM, Xavier Bernard wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Don't worry. Everything I am planning to do is conditional to Larry's agreement.
>
> Best,
>
> Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
> /Président / President/
> *Lynkz Instruments inc.*
> m: 1-(819)-342-4437
> w: www.lynkz.ca <https://lynkz.ca> e: xav...@lynkz.ca
>
> Le 8/17/2023 à 1:30 PM, Jonathan a écrit :
>> Steve,
>>
>> I must emphasize, any use of Larry's works for commercial purposes should be approved by Larry, otherwise, it's
>> infringement.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 1:27 PM Stephen Hammond <shamm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would be interested in an updated ADC24 board — please continue to post your progress here. Regards, Steve
>> Hammond PSNsanjose.com
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 17, 2023, at 9:03 AM, Xavier Bernard <xav...@lynkz.ca> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I am sorry I made you angry, that was not my wish.
>>>
>>> I asked, I was honest with you, you refused, you had the right and I thank you for your time.
>>>
>>> We decided to re-create a new BOM with stocked/active parts for both boards. I will be more than happy to share
>>> them here when we're done.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
>>> /Président / President/
>>> *Lynkz Instruments inc.*
>>> m: 1-(819)-342-4437
>>> w: www.lynkz.ca <https://lynkz.ca> e: xav...@lynkz.ca

Stephen Hammond

Aug 17, 2023, 4:17:15 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
I totally support that concept. As one of the moderators of the group I was a bit concerned when I saw making a profit in one of the postings. One of the things we will stop if it ever happens, would be adds posted relating to commercial sales from a commercial company just to be clear. Larry made a statement about the use of his materials. If you have any questions, look back at the past postings, you will get a good idea of what’s acceptable and what is not. For example, what you posted about building a board having it commercially made covering expenses and making a small profit for your time that’s more than acceptable. It’s to the benefit of everybody in the group. I feel we don’t want a bunch of advertisements like you’re seeing on Twitter these days.
Reared, Steve PSNsanjose.com

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 17, 2023, at 12:09 PM, Larry Cochrane <lar...@webtronics.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Xavier and Jonathan,
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/405cca95-bf74-bad5-c427-256dbcba5222%40webtronics.com.

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 4:34:31 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Larry and Stephen for clarifying that.

I will then go on with building the boards for our client (and anyone who needs them). I will definitely share any valuable outputs, files, etc... that would benefit the group.

This really isn't our core business by the way, even though we do have the expertise. We were asked if we could build a couple of those by one of our long term client since they knew we might be able to do so. We are not a supplier and we do not have any online catalogue or anything along those lines. We create cool IoT sensors, that's all.

How about that: All commercial transactions will include a margin for us, all other transactions including the ones with member of this group or people alike will pay "cost".

Best,

Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
Président / President
Lynkz Instruments inc.
m: 1-(819)-342-4437
w: www.lynkz.ca  e: xav...@lynkz.ca

Stephen Hammond

Aug 17, 2023, 4:42:11 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
I like the logo— looking forward to more postings Steve PSNsanjose.com

Sent from my iPhone

Jonathan

Aug 17, 2023, 4:54:55 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Xavier,

Can you prove your expertise? Any changes to Larry’s design should be validated with data, especially the quality of the data acquisition. Adding noisy bells and whistles like Bluetooth does not help a sensitive data acquisition application.

Can you share the “cost” with the group? How much per board are you charging your customer for the 3-channel amplifier board?

Jonathan

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 5:04:46 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jonathan,

I have no reason to change any of the analog design parts. I know how tricky these circuits can be. What I would look for are parts that are becoming obselete and try to find a counterpart and properly test it in our lab.

As for communication interfaces, these very high frequencies (2.4GHz and 900MHz) should not interfere with the low frequencies at play here.

I have sent quote inquiries today for the PSN Board. I will share them with you when I get them. For the AmpFilter board, I still need to go through the schematics and build the BOM but we will have an idea when we look at the PSN board quote.

Do no hesitate if you have any other concerns or questions.

Best,

Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
Président / President
Lynkz Instruments inc.
m: 1-(819)-342-4437
w: www.lynkz.ca  e: xav...@lynkz.ca
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Public Seismic Network Mailing List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOY0kB0qfSq5uppBbJj3SsPRq_rTbHj2nLTeqT4ktr6shbp6OQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Jón Frímann Jónsson

Aug 17, 2023, 6:01:57 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

In my experience with Larry hardware. I've been interference from radio communication far up as 3500Mhz to 3800Mhz (C-Band). It was enough to distort the recording. I never figured out if this was from the board picking up the noise or the geophone. The radio noise can be a problem if a 3G to 5G hardware is being used close to the earthquake detection set-up. In certain radio transmitters set-up, everything down to FM band (87,5Mhz to 108,0Mhz) can interfere with the earthquake recording hardware if it is close by. I don't think there's any good way to shield away from this. Just keep the hardware from strong radio sources, including 4G and 5G hardware if possible to limit the risk.

There's no noise from wlan at 2,4Ghz. But that uses only 100mW of transmission power at maximum, generally less than this.

Best regards,
Jón Frímann

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 7:47:38 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this.

Indeed, BLE and LTE Cat-M1 use very low tx power. That is why they are good otpions for IoT and battery powered devices.

When 3G/4G/5G technologies are used we really need to watch for EMI.

I would like to explore this further and see if such a system could be designed to be used in remote areas using very little hardware for power supply. LoRaWAN is also a very good candidate for battery power telemetry.

Best,
Xavier

Jonathan

Aug 17, 2023, 8:26:32 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier,

There are more ways that bells and whistles that use higher frequencies can cause interference and noise. I know that the thing to do these days is to make everything wireless, but you need to do special engineering when it comes to this sort of thing. Many people connect these boards to Pi’s or similar, run Earthworm, and send data over the network.

Be sure to spend the extra money and use high quality components that you would use in sensitive analog circuits like the ones on the 3-channel amplifier.

And why don’t you post the BOM of the 3-channel amplifier board when you create it. It’ll benefit the community that is clearly benefiting you.

Jonathan

Xavier Bernard

Aug 17, 2023, 8:47:12 PM8/17/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

My master of electrical engineering and 10+ years in PCBA design will definitely help me do exactly that.

For the newer wireless versions ( if I ever get there ) I could indeed use striplines and via shielding in order to protect senstive front end nets from EMI.

As stated in my previous posts, I will share the whole manufacturing package as is when I have it ready.

Best,
Xavier

Jonathan

Aug 18, 2023, 7:30:05 AM8/18/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier,

Then why do you need to use Larry’s design? With your background, just roll your own. Create a multichannel seismic amplifier of your own design.

Why did you ask me for a BOM if you are more that capable of doing it yourself?

And why can’t you just post the BOM before your manufacturing package? Are you afraid someone might use it for commercial purposes?

And why can’t you tell us the price?

Jonathan

Xavier Bernard

Aug 18, 2023, 8:35:40 AM8/18/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan,

These questions have pretty obivous answers.

You can find the answers in my previous posts.

Have a great day,

Xavier Bernard

Aug 24, 2023, 9:43:24 AM8/24/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I got the 2 quotes from oversea assembly house. Still haven't heard from N-A ones.

BOMs are still WIP.

Best,

Xavier Bernard, M.Sc
Président / President