REDWOOD CITY PSN ADC BOARD

James Allen

May 23, 2024, 5:08:44 PMMay 23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Can someone please help me find an operational  analog to digital converter board made by the Redwood City PSN.  It does not matter if it has one channel or more or whether it is the 16 bit or 24 bit model or any other A/D board that  will work with WinSDR.  Will be glad to reimburse the cost of the coard plus shipping.  I would really appreciate any assistance and/advice.

Angel Rodriguez

May 23, 2024, 7:56:10 PMMay 23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I make a one and a three channel card that will work with WInSDR.  I am traveling right now and will be home this weekend.

Angel

Can someone please help me find an operational  analog to digital converter board made by the Redwood City PSN.  It does not matter if it has one channel or more or whether it is the 16 bit or 24 bit model or any other A/D board that  will work with WinSDR.  Will be glad to reimburse the cost of the coard plus shipping.  I would really appreciate any assistance and/advice.

James Allen

May 23, 2024, 8:44:40 PMMay 23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Angel.  I look forward hearing from you this weekend when you have the opportunity.  Stay safe.
James

Angel Rodriguez

May 25, 2024, 3:39:15 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Here is a link to the mighty little card which I sell for $75.  It connects natively to WinSDR and most other seismo software.

I would appreciate your feedback and anyone elses feedback as this is a work in progress.

Regards,

Angel

Brian Kuschak

May 25, 2024, 6:50:22 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angel,

Nice work.  Does this card do any steering of the ADC clock?  I didn't see GPS or PPS mentioned in the doc.  Or do you correct for clock drift in some other way?

Regards,
Brian

Angel Rodriguez

May 25, 2024, 8:00:54 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

The card is designed to use network time.  I made the assumption that everyone has the internet.  There is a PPS generated in the kernel space as opposed to user space. It works well.

I also have a three channel version

A large part of the work was done be Larry and 100% of the timing solutions are his.

Cheers,

Angel

Brian Kuschak

May 25, 2024, 8:44:22 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angel,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Am I understanding this correctly?  If not, maybe Larry can comment.

A free-running oscillator clocks the ADC and MCU on the card.  Raspberry Pi Linux clock is synced to UTC using NTP, and a kernel driver generates a PPS output on a GPIO pin that goes to the card.  The MCU uses this PPS to timestamp the ADC data in its own clock domain, and provides that timestamp to the Pi along with the data.  The MiniSEED packets then contain accurately (UTC) timestamped ADC data, which is 100 sps but may be drifting +/-20 ppm fast or slow.

Regards,
Brian

Angel Rodriguez

May 25, 2024, 10:00:20 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

That is pretty much like I understand it for the single channel card.  The three channel card can have a GPS to discipline the time, but I really don't think it makes a difference.

from the Earthworm psnadsend module:
Angel

BBShark:/ew/run_working/params# cat sharksend.d

#                    --------------------------------------------

ModuleId           MOD_SHARKSEND_A # Module id of this instance of sharksend

OutRing            WAVE_RING      # Transport ring to write waveforms to

MuxDataRing        MUX_DATA_RING        # Used to send raw A/D data to a ring. Comment out or set to 0 if not used

Debug              0                    # Set to 1 for debug info

PrintToScreen   0                    # If 1, send LogWrite messages to the screen and log file

CommDevice         /dev/serial0         # Comm device string

HeartbeatInt       15             # Heartbeat interval in seconds

#                        ADC CONFIGURATION

ChanRate           100            # Sampling rate in samples/second

#                         TIME INFORMATION

NoDataTimeout      30 # No Data Timeout in seconds

TimeOffset         0              # Time Reference offset in milliseconds

UseGpsPPS   0 # Use PPS signal from GPS instead of PPSDriver

# This is the location and name of the 1PPS kernel module driver

PPSDriver          /ew/earthworm_7.9/bin/adcpps_v?.ko

DriverName   /dev/adcpps

Larry Cochrane

May 25, 2024, 10:28:29 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

What you have below is correct, but to keep the sample rate exactly 100SPS, the PsnAdSend module will add or drop a
sample as needed to adjust for the oscillator being off frequency a little. This is done before sending the data to
Earthworm so modules that consume the data will see a a pretty stable sample rate over a long period of time.

-Larry

On 5/25/2024 5:44 PM, Brian Kuschak wrote:
> [...]
>
> Hi James,
>
> Here is a link to the mighty little card which I sell for $75.  It connects natively to WinSDR and most
> other seismo software.
>
> I would appreciate your feedback and anyone elses feedback as this is a work in progress.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zO1yyfRDqsv02Fo7uI81aXPOE9LtY8WHDA1HPJdXlB0/edit?usp=sharing
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zO1yyfRDqsv02Fo7uI81aXPOE9LtY8WHDA1HPJdXlB0/edit?usp=sharing>
>
> Regards,
>
> Angel
>

> On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 7:44 PM 'James Allen' via Public Seismic Network Mailing List
> <psn...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psn...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks Angel.  I look forward hearing from you this weekend when you have the opportunity.  Stay safe.
> James
>
> On Thursday, May 23, 2024 at 04:56:11 PM PDT, Angel Rodriguez <helic...@gmail.com
> <mailto:helic...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I make a one and a three channel card that will work with WInSDR.  I am traveling right now and will be
> home this weekend.
>
> Angel
>
> On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 4:08 PM 'James Allen' via Public Seismic Network Mailing List
> <psn...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psn...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>
> Can someone please help me find an operational  analog to digital converter board made by the
> Redwood City PSN.  It does not matter if it has one channel or more or whether it is the 16 bit or
> 24 bit model or any other A/D board that  will work with WinSDR.  Will be glad to reimburse the cost
> of the coard plus shipping.  I would really appreciate any assistance and/advice.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13rxE_YqfT1Q-OQOq_YoDOTotwuA3XOLDCA%2Bz8ECxhe%3Djg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13rxE_YqfT1Q-OQOq_YoDOTotwuA3XOLDCA%2Bz8ECxhe%3Djg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/1002008595.3714825.1716511473066%40mail.yahoo.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/1002008595.3714825.1716511473066%40mail.yahoo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13oMtpVSQDyD38%3DC8Rtnn%2Bq1KoDeEUQA_Jjtxntpy3STtg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13oMtpVSQDyD38%3DC8Rtnn%2Bq1KoDeEUQA_Jjtxntpy3STtg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGwvvn%2Bb-HKQn_P49pEh1Td1_9grTuUPbWGZ57_L%3DN9AWg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGwvvn%2Bb-HKQn_P49pEh1Td1_9grTuUPbWGZ57_L%3DN9AWg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brian Kuschak

May 25, 2024, 10:44:46 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both.  I'm always interested in technical details.
Angel, you mentioned the 1-channel card is $75.  What is the price of the 3-channel card?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/8283c628-e580-40e8-8cba-bb7115ef880e%40webtronics.com.

Angel Rodriguez

May 26, 2024, 7:16:22 AMMay 26
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

The three channel card is $150 and I need to add that you will need a beaglebone bone black.  I get a lot of pushback because folk want to attach the card to their own PC via a serial port and that in my opinion is a thing of the past.  All the software is free and open.

We chose a BBB because it is open hardware and lots of folk make it. The way we use it is that the OS moves to the internal memory and the SD memory is only used for storage.  With the single channel card the OS is on the SD card and is our main point of failure, less nowadays than before.

Angel

Hola ymar

May 26, 2024, 7:32:59 AMMay 26
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Brian Kuschak

May 26, 2024, 1:04:49 PMMay 26
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angel,

Understood, thank you.  I agree with your approach.  I'm also a fan of the Beaglebone, mostly the Green which is a bit lower power if you don't need video.  The PRUs are useful for these real time HW interfaces.  I also find the onboard eMMC to be more reliable than SD cards.  You're probably aware, but there are ways to limit the writes to flash, such as log2ram.  In my case I'm more interested in streaming the data over ethernet rather than logging it locally.

Cheers,
Brian

Larry Cochrane

May 26, 2024, 4:44:33 PMMay 26
to psn...@googlegroups.com
I personally like the Raspberry PI over the Beaglebone Black. For one reason I have a lot of them lying around. For one
project, monitoring CO2 produced when making homemade beer, I wanted to use one of Angel's 3 channel board with a RPI.
To do this I made a simple adapter board with two connectors on it and some wiring. Attach is the wiring diagram I used
for the adapter board.

Regards,
-Larry

On 5/26/2024 10:04 AM, Brian Kuschak wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >             --
> <mailto:psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psnlist%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >             To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13oMtpVSQDyD38%3DC8Rtnn%2Bq1KoDeEUQA_Jjtxntpy3STtg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13oMtpVSQDyD38%3DC8Rtnn%2Bq1KoDeEUQA_Jjtxntpy3STtg%40mail.gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13oMtpVSQDyD38%3DC8Rtnn%2Bq1KoDeEUQA_Jjtxntpy3STtg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13oMtpVSQDyD38%3DC8Rtnn%2Bq1KoDeEUQA_Jjtxntpy3STtg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >
> >         --
> <mailto:psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psnlist%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >         To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGwvvn%2Bb-HKQn_P49pEh1Td1_9grTuUPbWGZ57_L%3DN9AWg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGwvvn%2Bb-HKQn_P49pEh1Td1_9grTuUPbWGZ57_L%3DN9AWg%40mail.gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGwvvn%2Bb-HKQn_P49pEh1Td1_9grTuUPbWGZ57_L%3DN9AWg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGwvvn%2Bb-HKQn_P49pEh1Td1_9grTuUPbWGZ57_L%3DN9AWg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >
> >     --
> <mailto:psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psnlist%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13o1bVm0V2TGzT%2Bwz7hXDHb29NASbz5guvoGE95hL8LsRQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CALjL13o1bVm0V2TGzT%2Bwz7hXDHb29NASbz5guvoGE95hL8LsRQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >
> > --
> psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psnlist%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:psnlist+u...@googlegroups.com <mailto:psnlist%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGyLrppC2cHF2fs9amNfsgY-htm4cqFxxrm8jtv_yhe5nA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGyLrppC2cHF2fs9amNfsgY-htm4cqFxxrm8jtv_yhe5nA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/8283c628-e580-40e8-8cba-bb7115ef880e%40webtronics.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/8283c628-e580-40e8-8cba-bb7115ef880e%40webtronics.com>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGz6F1AYzD%2B6pMAmL%3DSt_q1bV_3R4hfUdoonKbEZxHUeYg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/CAOYrFGz6F1AYzD%2B6pMAmL%3DSt_q1bV_3R4hfUdoonKbEZxHUeYg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

pi_to_3ch_adapter.jpg

Angel Rodriguez

May 26, 2024, 4:54:28 PMMay 26
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Larry,

I didn't know you brewed!

Carla and I just made our 112th brew,  I use a Pi zero to control the ferment temp!    I have a little bar fridge I was given and with some aquarium pumps I pump cold water through some coils.

Getting back on topic thanks for the adapter board schematic, I will make one and try it.

Cheers,

Angel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/7e177e7b-f3dc-453d-be71-918097037f88%40webtronics.com.