WinSDR-datastream-driver for Windows audio system

Rudolf Affolter

May 18, 2024, 1:28:03 PMMay 18
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List

We have a hum problem in our building. I am of retired age and find the analysis of this problem very interesting. To analyze, I built some “PSN-ADC-Serial” and “3-Channel-Amplifier/Filter” according to Larry’s documents on GitHub, changed for a cutoff frequency of 150 Hz.
According to Larry’s documents, the replica worked really well. Many thanks to Larry for these great templates. I know how much time and work it takes.

I use 3 channels from the PSN and amplifiers for 3D-Geophones-4.5Hz. I expanded the fourth channel of the PSN for a Piezo-IEPE-Sensor (4mA), which can be connected directly to my 3D sensor housings.

In parallel to data recording with WinSDR and the possibility of analysis with WinQuacke, a real-time spectrogram from 1Hz to 150 Hz proves to be very useful or even necessary.

That's the reason that I unfortunately can't use the "PSN-ADC24"!

The option via the PSN-to-WAVE utility with subsequent resampling and time adjustment to evaluate the spectral progression is possible but unsuitable because it is delayed and far too time-consuming.

My solution so far is, that I use the analog outputs (also led out of the “PSN-ADC”).
I connect 2 channels of choice with a USB sound adapter that I modified to a cutoff frequency of less than 1 Hz, that is connected to Steinberg's WaveLabPro program, running on the same Windows PC that I use for WinSDR. This makes it possible to view the real-time spectrogram at the same time as the real-time wave from WinSDR. Larry's system is really great for my hum problem analysis.

An even better solution would be, if there was a driver compatible with the Windows audio system either for WinSDR directly, or with the DLL provided by Larry. The selection of the channel pair (stereo), e.g. in the properties of the driver, should be possible.

As I would like, this real-time spectral analysis would then be possible to view remotely, as is already possible with WinSDR and the wave display.
Then I could also use the more compact and precise  “PSN-ADC24”.

Is there perhaps such a driver already or code that would be suitable for Windows?

Could Larry, or perhaps someone else, who is familiar with this engineering, give me a tip?

Thanks a lot

Rudolf Affolter

Jonathan

May 21, 2024, 8:55:54 PMMay 21
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudolf,

Why specifically won't the PSN digitizers work for you? It's not very clear what the issue is. You should be using them with a GPS, too.

Jonathan

Rudolf Affolter

May 23, 2024, 11:11:21 AMMay 23
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List

Hi Jonathan,

the PSN digitisers work very well and I can use them very well, so I'm happy with them. The analysis with WinQuake is also very useful to me.

However, what I miss and what is important to me is the dynamic observation of the FFT spectrum over time.

With WinQuake I can only make an FFT over the duration of the PSN file. I am not aware of any software for dynamic observation of the FFT spectrum over time from the PSN files.

At the moment, I can only do this with software such as WaveLabPro from the audio sector. In real time or from audio recordings.

In order to understand complex events as well as possible, this dynamic frequency behaviour is important to me.

As a comparison, a video for example, is more meaningful and easier to handle, than just looking at a fiew individual images over time.

I hope I have succeeded in making my request easier to understand.

Rudolf

Jonathan

May 23, 2024, 11:51:45 AMMay 23
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudolf,

I know there are a few seismic software packages that can convert from the time domain to the frequency domain, but other than an Earthworm module, none come to mind. I believe SAQ can do the same. I don't know of any GUI-based windows software, however.

For soundcard capture in Windows, I recommend Spectrum Lab. In Linux, I recommend vlfrx-tools. Both can visualize in the frequency domain, but neither capture in a seismic data format. vlfrx-tools also has support for the A/D converters available on a Beaglebone SBC, but I have not used this functionality.

Jonathan

Larry Cochrane

May 25, 2024, 3:55:48 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudolf,

Sorry for the delay. What I would do is run Earthworm and use the Swarm display utility. It has a realtime spectrogram
display. It will run under Windows or Linux. More information can be found here
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/software/swarm/doc/swarm_v3.pdf.

The hard part would be getting Earthworm up and running with my ADC board. Here is some old information on how to run EW
on a Raspberry PI https://www.seismicnet.com/ew/RaspPi/index.html. To get the data into EW you would run my PSNAdSend
module. Besides that you would only need to run a few other modules the Wave Server, StatMgr and the StartStop. Once you
get the data into the Wave Server you can view the data with Swarm. Since Swam is a standalone program it does not have
to run on the Earthworm system. So you could run EW on a RaspPI and Swam on a PC laptop. All you would need is a TCP/IP
connection between the two.

Regards,
-Larry
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/f7ed1155-8c1d-40ea-884a-1fbee7ee6fa9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/eebc1ba5-414f-4168-bb54-ad8354f395c7n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/eebc1ba5-414f-4168-bb54-ad8354f395c7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Angel Rodriguez

May 25, 2024, 5:12:06 PMMay 25
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The little digitizer that I posted the link to will fit on the Pi header and the earthworm image we have made is free and easy.  I run many systems and display the date both in the time domain and the frequency domain.

The little digitizer is Larry's design and also runs with psnadsend.

cheers

Angel

Rudolf Affolter

May 27, 2024, 2:59:44 PMMay 27
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List

Hi Jonathan,

I know some very good programs in Windows that are suitable for analyzing and, above all, always provide a very good overview of at least two channels for comparing two situations in real time.   I also have experience with some of them.

Unfortunately, none of them can connect a seismic data processing system.

A common denominator would be the Windows audio system.

I'm looking for a way how I could get or build this interface!

Best regards

Rudolf

Rudolf Affolter

May 27, 2024, 3:01:21 PMMay 27
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List

Hi Angel,

I have already built enough digitizers that are suitable for me, based on Larry's documents, thank you very much.

Best regards

Rudolf

Rudolf Affolter

May 27, 2024, 3:06:53 PMMay 27
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List

Hello Larry,

Thank you very much for the information I didn't know. I've taken a look at Earthworm and Swarm and noticed that it doesn't offer the options I'm used to in the audio sector. It is important to me that I can always see at least two situations at the same time and in real time in a clear and quickly changeable display. Audio stereo offers this from the ground up, which is probably why it is often used for measurement systems such as oscilloscopes and others.

I think your multi-channel PSN-ADC’s together with WinSDR and the very precise evaluation with WinQuake are brilliant and I like to use them.

An absolute highlight is, that WinSDR can be started on a remote PC and act as a client connected to the base PC (with the PSN ADC) and can even be set independently on the remote PC with your own channel settings, such as other filter properties etc.

It seems to me that WinSDR can make its data available multiple times and even via TCP/IP. Wouldn't it somehow be possible to intercept the data stream you've already prepared and then make it accessible to the audio system at the same time (pure data with counter)?

Is there a DLL module from WinSDR for this use, possibly also for use on the remote client?

Best regards

Rudolf

Larry Cochrane

May 28, 2024, 4:51:31 PMMay 28
to psn...@googlegroups.com
On 5/27/2024 12:06 PM, Rudolf Affolter wrote:

> It seems to me that WinSDR can make its data available multiple times and even via TCP/IP. Wouldn't it somehow be
> possible to intercept the data stream you've already prepared and then make it accessible to the audio system at the
> same time (pure data with counter)?

You can get the raw data from WinSDR using the TCP Server feature. You would need to write a program that takes the ADC
data in the TCP/IP data packets and send it to the audio system. I personally do not have any software to do this.

> Is there a DLL module from WinSDR for this use, possibly also for use on the remote client?
No just the TCP Server option.

-Larry

Rudolf Affolter

May 29, 2024, 4:09:16 PMMay 29
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List

Hi Larry,

I see the opportunity to read the port data stream to the WinSDR-client and extract the desired data. To do this, however, I would need to know the structure of the data stream. Finding this out with Wireshark would be a bit tedious.

I could also write a minimal handler that behaves as a client. To do this, however, I would need to know the necessary information for the handshake with the WinSDR-server.

Please, could you recommend one or the other variant, or perhaps a better one, and give me the relevant information?

Rudolf

Larry Cochrane

May 30, 2024, 1:45:52 PMMay 30
to psn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudolf,

WinSDR will send MINISEED packets to the client. So all you need to do is find a MINISEED encoder/decoder library that
will work with your project. Each MINISEED packet is 512 bytes long and contains about 200 samples, if I remember
correctly. You feed the data into the decoder and out will come the raw ADC data. One problem you are going to run into,
if you want to use the Windows sound subsystem, is sample rate. Since you are dealing with very low sample rates
(<=200sps) from the ADC card compared to audio you will need to up sample the ADC data to 8kHz somehow so you can feed
the data into Windows.

Good luck...

-Larry
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/a06d706c-5239-4c8f-b39d-54ba4160f3d3n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/psnlist/a06d706c-5239-4c8f-b39d-54ba4160f3d3n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Message has been deleted

Rudolf Affolter

May 31, 2024, 3:06:24 PMMay 31
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Hi Larry,

thank you. Did you need the libmseed-main library on GitHub?

Rudolf

pastor...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2024, 11:46:04 AMJun 6
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List
Are these seismometers still around?

Rudolf Affolter

Jun 7, 2024, 9:56:18 AMJun 7
to Public Seismic Network Mailing List

Hi Jeff,

all of my built PSN-ADC systems are in use.

My questions were intended to find an integrated solution to see FFTs and spectrograms from the remote systems in real time also. I had already built an additional solution, only usable locally.

As Larry suggested, implementing could be very elaborate. After thinking about it for a while, I see it that way too. Real-time resampling alone would be a project by itself.

I will now expand the current local solution in streaming the separately digitized audio data from remote to the Windows audio system, in parallel to the PSN-ADC data to WinSDR.

Rudolf

Jeff Mauer

Jun 7, 2024, 10:11:01 AMJun 7
to psn...@googlegroups.com