4 free seiemometers

Bill S

Oct 8, 2023, 4:29:51 PM10/8/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

For quite a few years I monitored earthquakes here in New Jersey until about 14 years ago when business and other interests commandeered most of my time. I've been a member of Larry's list(s) at least since 2006 or so, perhaps earlier. I took my seismometers out of service around 2012, moved them into the garage and they've been sitting here ever since. Somehow or other, time has passed terribly rapidly. Now I'm older than I ever expected to be and it's time to lighten up. I have four Seismometers that have to go. There are two made by United GeoMeasurements Division of United Electro Dynamics, Inc. I've had them for about 20 years. One is a vertical short period and the other is a horizontal short period. They appear to be in good physical condition but I never put them is service so I'm not sure of the operating status but they are very clean. The serial numbers are as I remember #20 and #21. I expect they were made in the 1960's but that's just a guess. There is also what appears to be a Gurlap vertical Seismometer (clean inside - looks to be in good condition, and a Teledyne/Geotech Long Period Model 8700C. This one has a few broken wires that attach to the arm which is a very simple repair. They are all traditional Seismometers and are quite heavy. I've had the Gurlap and the Teledyne/Geotech operating quite a few years ago. I can no longer lift any of them. If there is any interest in any or all of them, they're free but will have to be picked up here in Oakland, NJ. email me if you're interested at w...@jbpet.com.

stephen Hammond

Oct 8, 2023, 7:30:44 PM10/8/23
to psn...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bill, glade to hear you made it past your expiration date and sorry to hear you must drop out of active recording. While I live along the Monterey Bay CA, and much too far to take part in your give away, I can affirm the 8700C seismograph is an exceptionable device capable of recording global events. Mine have their own air tight covers, damping coils, and leveling sensors, in reality, they can be connected by a simple two wire connection to most data collection electronics. I have two “Cs” here at my PSN San Joe site and just uploaded event data to Larry’s PSN event database if anybody would like to see example of their output data.

Regards, Steve Hammond, PSN San Jose, Aptos, CA