Re: [PsiTurk] No .psiturkconfig in home directory

Message has been deleted

Dave Eargle

Nov 6, 2021, 12:21:34 PM11/6/21
to Ren-Hui Tham, PsiTurk
Apologies, that quickstart isn't clear. You have to create the file. The quickstart cat command output shows what the file might look like after a user has created it.

Psiturk used to create that file, but I dropped it for some reason. As a convenience, I can add it back if it doesn't exist with defaults commented out (eventually).
On Sat, Nov 6, 2021, 9:12 AM Ren-Hui Tham <tham....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I have been following the Quick Start Guide for PsiTurk. I am on Step 3, Enter Credentials, but I noticed that I cannot use the command: $ cat ~/.psiturkconfig, since the file .psiturkconfig is not in my working directory. I have included the steps that I took to create a default project structure and check whether .psiturkconfig exists.
Inkedpsiturkconfig error_LI.jpg
I went into the psiturk-example folder, and config.txt exists, but just not .psiturkconfig. Should I create a .psiturkconfig from scratch?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you very much for your time!

(I am also very sorry if this message has been sent multiple times, this is my first time using Google Groups and for some reason when I click "Post message," my post is not showing. I was using Firefox, but I hope my message goes through via Chrome.)

Message has been deleted

Dave Eargle

Nov 7, 2021, 12:28:35 AM11/7/21
to Ren-Hui Tham, PsiTurk
That just means your code crashed. Check your "server.log" file.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021, 9:25 PM Ren-Hui Tham <tham....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help! I have created .psiturkconfig in my home directory.

Sorry I have one more rookie question. Just to double-check I understand correctly, I do not need my AWS credentials in my .psiturkconfig file yet if I just want to load and save data locally? I think this just requires typing psiturk server on in Ubuntu.

If that's the case (since I want to save my data locally), I noticed that I was receiving this error after typing in this command:
psiturk server error.PNG

I was doing some research into this, and I found this thread. It seems like Evelyn had an identical error as mine (and she has a Windows computer). Evelyn was recommended to downgrade to the highest version of psiturk, but I do not think that this worked for her. Do you have any recommendations for how to solve this error?

Thank you very much for your time. I will keep in researching potential solutions and will give an update if I figure something out in the mean time.
Message has been deleted

Dave Eargle

Nov 7, 2021, 10:53:15 AM11/7/21
to Ren-Hui Tham, PsiTurk
No, "server.log" is the name of a file in your psiturk project directory.

On Sun, Nov 7, 2021, 8:50 AM Ren-Hui Tham <tham....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

Understood, I have checked my server log and this is the message I received: server log.PNG
I was looking up port 8080, and it looks like it has something to do with default webservers? So maybe this has something to do with my localhost, https://localhost:22362, or my config.txt file?

Message has been deleted

Dave Eargle

Nov 7, 2021, 10:05:39 PM11/7/21
to Ren-Hui Tham, PsiTurk
Sorry, I can't do this level of usability support -- go through the quickstart again and note that you have to cd into the psiturk-example directory before trying to launch your experiment.

You'll likely hit dozens of similar issues if this is your first time using the command line -- maybe someone local to you can help you as you learn the thought process.

On Sun, Nov 7, 2021, 7:34 PM Ren-Hui Tham <tham....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for the quick reply and for pointing me in the right direction. I am also very sorry for not getting back sooner.

Sorry for the confusion, I believe I have accessed the correct sever.log file this time. For some reason, the server.log file was extremely long, so I took a "snapshot" of the first 15 lines in addition to the last 15 lines:
server log corrected.PNG

I believe that last couple of lines of this file are the most useful. Specifically, it seems like I am missing thanks-mturksubmit.html and closepopup.html. It seems like adding these files to the psiturk-example experiment should help.

As a side note, I noticed that I am not able to access files and folders (e.g., psiturk-example) that I create in Ubuntu. I think this has more to do with Windows and Linux, and I will work on figuring this out in the mean time.
Message has been deleted