Trouble with download_datafiles command in new psiturk

Jeff Moher

Mar 28, 2021, 2:06:06 PM3/28/21
to PsiTurk
Hi all,

I’m having trouble with the psiturk download_datafiles function in the new psiturk.  The code runs fine, and the trialdata file downloads just fine, but the questisondata and eventdata files are empty.  This happened when I ran my own code (which had previously worked fine with this function).  I also re-downloaded the psiturk-example code from Psiturk 3.0.6, uploaded it to Heroku, and ran through it once after uploading it to heroku.  The task ran great but I got the same exact error when I tried to download the data.  When i run the function it throws this error:

('Error reading record:', Subject(uniqueid|debugwvVge:debugfLyqr, condition|0, status|3, codeversion|0.0.1))

The data from the questionnaire file is getting saved in the Postgres database - it just doesn’t show up in the questiondata.csv file when I run this function.  I'm running this on python 3.8.5 and Mac OS 10.14.6.  If anyone has run into any insight or has any suggestions for how to fix this (or where to dig for solutions), it would be greatly appreciated!   I really don't know much about databases, so apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Jeff Moher

Apr 5, 2021, 9:34:11 AM4/5/21
to PsiTurk
I tried reverting to an earlier version of psiturk (2.3.12) and then downloading data generated from the psiturk-example code from psiturk v3, and the download_datafiles function worked fine.  So I still didn't solve the issue using download_datafiles in psiturk v3, but this is a workaround in case anyone else relies on the download_datafiles function - at least i think you could still use psiturk v3 to run code and collect data on heroku, and revert psiturk versions when you need to download the data.

I know there are other (probably better) ways to access postgres data but for me at least (I really don't know much about databases or python in general beyond the minimum i've learned to run psiturk) the download_datafiles function is a huge help

Dave Eargle

Apr 5, 2021, 11:08:18 AM4/5/21
to Jeff Moher, PsiTurk
This is fixed on the master branch, no new release yet.

Jeff Moher

Apr 6, 2021, 1:09:47 PM4/6/21
to PsiTurk
Awesome, just tested it and it worked great, thanks for your help!