server blocked

Inga Rösler

May 5, 2021, 9:21:50 AM5/5/21
to PsiTurk

Dear all,

I’ve recently changed psiturk from running on py2 to py3 and had some issues with multiple versions of py3 (maybe relevant/ maybe not?). I now was able to install psiturk successfully (currently v2.3.8, python3.8, bigsur), however, the server keeps blocking when I try to turn it on.

Based on other posts in this group, I’ve tried the following things to resolve this issue (however, without success so far):

-       Pkill -f psiturk

-       killing the port (quit via identifying the PIDs)

-       Setting up the example another time

-       Deleting the custom.py file

-       tried using a different port (not sure if that makes sense, just changed one number)

-       Installing other versions (e.g., v2.3.12, v3.0.6)

Since there is nothing logged into the server log file and I don’t receive an error, is there anything else I could try to get it running again?

Thank you for your help and kind regards

da...@daveeargle.com

May 12, 2021, 6:48:03 PM5/12/21
to PsiTurk
I responded the following at one point:

> Change the port in config.txt?

To which Inga responded:

> Thank you for the quick reply, I changed the port number in the file, but it blocks immediately if I try to turn the server on. If I then use Pkill -f psiturk, it gives: Caught ^C, experiment server has shut down. I do get a warning message when trying to launch the server, is that maybe related to the blocking?

Now serving on http://localhost:22363

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/os.py:1023: RuntimeWarning: line buffering (buffering=1) isn't supported in binary mode, the default buffer size will be used

  return io.open(fd, *args, **kwargs)

And I said:

> Xcode, eh? I wonder if this is a new Mac security thing. Try a really high port number, like 65535. The server being blocked suggests that it's unable to bind to the given port / interface, for whatever reason.

 To which Inga responded:

> Unfortunately, it also blocks using 65535 (also tried 65533). Do you know of a way to find out whether it is indeed a security issue? And would it be necessary to go back to a previous mac operating system?

@Inga, no, I don't know how to confirm whether it's a security issue, but perhaps others with macs might know.

Inga Rösler

May 13, 2021, 4:57:12 AM5/13/21
to PsiTurk
Thanks Dave! I posted this on stackoverflow and I think this might be related to python installation issues rather than mac security.