FRONTED-MEEK

kurniawan

Aug 28, 2014, 1:18:53 PM8/28/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi
what is FRONTED-MEEK capabilities?
if i make psiphon private server, will my server have this capabilities?
thanks

Adam Kruger

Aug 28, 2014, 1:31:58 PM8/28/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi. You can read about meek and fronting here: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek

You can find our fork of meek-server and meek-client here: https://bitbucket.org/psiphon/psiphon-circumvention-system/src/default/go/?at=default

If you want to front your own private server, you will need to obtain your own fronting service (ie. a CDN).

If you simply want to encapsulate the obfuscated SSH protocol in HTTP, and don't need a front, you can make an UNFRONTED-MEEK server.

kurniawan

Adam Kruger

Aug 28, 2014, 3:13:24 PM8/28/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
Roughly, these are the steps:

- obtain an Akamai service contract (see the tor meek wiki for info on Akamai resellers)
- configure your Akamai account to map a hostname to your private server's IP address
- run meek-server and the obfuscated sshd on your private server
- run meek-client and plonk, connecting to akamai and passing your hostname into the host header

kurniawan

Francis

Francis

Oct 23, 2014, 9:14:19 AM10/23/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
and one more thing about the installation meek server and ossh... they are at same server or different server?

Adam Kruger

Oct 23, 2014, 9:25:29 AM10/23/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi. The free CloudFlare account should work (now that even free accounts get SSL). The basic functionality is described here: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek#CloudFlare

Your meek-server should be running on port 443 in TLS mode. If you have meek-server running, you can add LogFilename to the config so that you can monitor inbound test connections.

In your CloudFlare account, configure one hostname to map to your meek-server IP address. Then you can test fronting with wget:

wget -d --no-check-certificate https://cloudflare.com/ --header="Host: <your hostname>"

If your fronting is correctly set up, you should see an error show up in your meek-server log, something like "Invalid GET request".

Adam Kruger

Oct 23, 2014, 9:26:56 AM10/23/14
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Francis <mp3s...@gmail.com> wrote:
and one more thing about the installation meek server and ossh... they are at same server or different server?

They should be on the same server. I think they can be on different servers, but haven't tested that.

Francis

Oct 23, 2014, 9:54:49 AM10/23/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
there is no other configuration after setting you own meek server version?

Francis

Oct 23, 2014, 10:07:24 AM10/23/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
also is apache or nginx required for the server? after running meek.exe and plonk (psiphon version) its giving me 521 error and if i install apache or nginx it give 404 error this error can be seen on the client generated by meek.exe

Adam Kruger

Oct 23, 2014, 10:08:59 AM10/23/14
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Francis <mp3s...@gmail.com> wrote:
there is no other configuration after setting you own meek server version?

Are you asking about the CloudFlare configuration? You might want to disable all security settings.

Adam Kruger

Oct 23, 2014, 10:10:25 AM10/23/14
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Francis <mp3s...@gmail.com> wrote:
also is apache or nginx required for the server? after running meek.exe and plonk (psiphon version) its giving me 521 error and if i install apache or nginx it give 404 error this error can be seen on the client generated by meek.exe

No, you do not need to run any web server. You should have meek-server listening on port 443, and your obfuscated ssh server running on any other port. Cloudflare will connect directly to meek-server.

Francis

Oct 23, 2014, 10:31:38 AM10/23/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
still no luck im trying to connect the meek.exe client will generate an error "error in handling request: status code was 521, not 200" when i check meek server log it's empty...

Adam Kruger

Oct 23, 2014, 11:07:24 AM10/23/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
First make sure that CloudFlare is forwarding your requests to your meek-server. You can use wget or curl, and you should see something (an error) appear in the meek-server log.

Once you're sure that the forwarding is working, if you are still seeing problems, you'll have to carefully check your plonk command line options.

Francis

Francis

Adam Kruger

Oct 24, 2014, 11:03:29 AM10/24/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Try using Visual Studio Express.

Francis

Adam Kruger

Oct 24, 2014, 12:04:27 PM10/24/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
I think we used 2012 for the latest binaries checked into bitbucket.

Francis

Oct 24, 2014, 1:49:51 PM10/24/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
ok thanks, how about visual studio 2012 ultimate edition?

Adam Kruger

Oct 25, 2014, 6:12:37 PM10/25/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com

Hi. I'm sure that should work. Did you try it?

Francis

Oct 26, 2014, 4:16:04 AM10/26/14
to psiphon3-...@googlegroups.com
all working fine now... i now have my own fronted-meek server and my own compiled plonk.exe... thanks...