Need help or documentation to start using PSI

Romarain PC

Mar 7, 2021, 12:37:55 PM3/7/21
to Psi-Users
Hello,

When first opening PSI, there is a server connection thing. I don't understand what it's talking about. You can't ask to connect to a server without explaining what server you're talking about or how to create it.

The wiki doesn't help.

Thx, and sorry for such a noobish question ;)

Romarain PC

Mar 7, 2021, 12:49:30 PM3/7/21
to Psi-Users
In order to accelerate the answer, I add some details to my request (sry, I don't find any "edit" button to edit my first message).

I've skipped the first panel when opening PSI, and now I'm trying to add an "account" by using "Account configuration".
It seems that theres is two options : or adding an already existing XMPP account to a server, or creating a new account on a server.
But the thing I don't undestand is : what server are you talking about ??
I thought I would user PSI like BorgChat, and be able to communicate throught my PC inside my LAN. And I start to wonder if PSI isn't, in fact, a kind of IRC software forcing us to create a channel somewhere on a distant server. And the thing is I don't want to connect to any external server.

I'm ok to create a "server" in my LAN, but that's all. However, I don't find any documentation to do such a thing. Moreover, I would like to avoid to create a server, because this would force one of my PC to stay powered ON, and I'd rather just being able to communicate throught NETBIOS connexions, like BorgChat.

Boris Pek

Mar 9, 2021, 2:06:01 PM3/9/21
to psi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> When first opening PSI, there is a server connection thing. I don't understand what it's talking about. You can't ask to connect to a server without explaining what server you're talking about or how to create it.

As written in project description: "Psi is a powerful XMPP client designed for experienced users."
Sorry, but it is not for you...

You should either learn what the XMPP is and how it works, either just find more newbie-friendly software.

Best wishes,
Boris

Romarain PC

Mar 13, 2021, 12:11:29 AM3/13/21
to Psi-Users
I've already used IRC clients and administrated channels on freenode.net. If I had new that XMPP was an equivalent, I wouldn't have asked.
So the least you could have "calculated", if you had more than 100 IQ, was that I didn't care about searching on the web for an information that authors of the software named PSI should have provided in a popup when opening the aforementioned software wich just say "connect to a server" like a dumbass.
I've used PSI on the past in a company, when doing a traineeship : I thought it was an internal LAN communication software like BORGChat, never thought it would be an IRC-like software with absolute need to connect to a server.
Next time, just give the info instead of throwing people back to google, as if we were supposed to know that a protocol is inherently hidding an external server type of connection, dickhead.

And for Christ sake, just edit your fucking product if you're the author, and do your job when communicating about it. Same for the website : "Psi is a free instant messaging application designed for the XMPP network."
Yeah, and what about saying "for the XMPP network (WAN)", so you won't have to patronize people with "as written in project description, blablabla". Nobody will do a websearch each time a protocol is name is spelled... Jesus fucking redneck.