Enabling OMEMO on Psi 1.3 or 1.4 for Windows

Funfief

May 26, 2020, 5:16:33 AM5/26/20
to Psi-Users
Can someone please provide some guidance on how to enable OMEMO on Psi 1.3 or 1.4 for Windows?

What do I have to download, install, click, check etc.?

From another post, I gather the process involves a plugin. But after looking in all the likely (and some unlikely) places in the app, I could find nothing on OMEMO.  Thanks.

Boris Pek

May 26, 2020, 8:51:31 AM5/26/20
to psi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> Can someone please provide some guidance on how to enable OMEMO on Psi 1.3 or 1.4 for Windows?

There is no OMEMO plugin for these versions of Psi. First release of Psi with OMEMO support will be Psi-2.0.

> What do I have to download, install, click, check etc.?

You may use Experimental Builds of Psi which are available on SF:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/psi/files/Experimental-Builds/Windows/tehnick/

But much better would be to use builds from Psi+ project. Their difference is thoroughly explained in README:
https://github.com/psi-im/psi/blob/master/README.md

All necessary URL are in README as well.

> From another post, I gather the process involves a plugin. But after looking in all the likely (and some unlikely) places in the app, I could find nothing on OMEMO.

Yes, OMEMO encryption is realized as Psi plugin. But this required some changes in plugins API, so this plugin cannot be build for already released versions of Psi.

Short changelog with main changes in future release Psi-2.0 you may find here:
https://github.com/psi-im/psi/blob/master/CHANGELOG

Best wishes,
Boris

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Boris Pek

May 26, 2020, 12:21:14 PM5/26/20
to psi-...@googlegroups.com
> I entered my account information (JID and password) into Psi+ the same way I did into Psi.
>
> I did not change any of the defaulting settings on Psi+.
>
> I have tried with firewall and antivirus turned off.
>
> What else could I try?  Should I have changed some of the settings on Psi+?

Problem may be in OpenSSL library which is used for this build of program.

Try portable builds:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/psiplus/files/Windows/Personal-Builds/tehnick/

They are built using another compiler and with other versions of used libraries.

If you want to use program with system profile just rename .exe files as described in README.txt

Also I suggest to try psi-plus-portable-1.4.1231_win7_x86_64.7z first. Because of small new bug which was added recently:
https://github.com/psi-im/psi/issues/563
It makes inconvenient first setting up of toolbars. Once toolbars are configures as you need you may update Psi+ to any newer version.
Or you may wait a bit until we fix this bug and install directly the latest version.

Best wishes,
Boris

Funfief

May 26, 2020, 12:41:32 PM5/26/20
to Psi-Users
Thank you so very much Boris!

With Psi's experimental build (Technick's psi-portable-1.4-1195_win7_x86_64.7z), I managed to
 - log into my XMPP server and
 - find the OMEMO plugin in the app's option
and look forward to figuring out the other necessary configurations.

With Psi+, however, I could
 - neither log into the server
 - nor see any OMEMO plugin in the option.

Trying to log in from Psi+ gives me the following error message:

<QUOTE>
Server Error
There was an error communicating with the server.
Details:  Authentication error:  Unable to login
<UNQUOTE>

The servers I have tried are
 - jabb3r.de (provided by jabber.hot-chilli.net)
 - xmpp.jp

I cannot log into either of those servers from Psi+ though
 - I have no problem logging into them from Psi 13, Psi 14, and Technick's psi-portable-1.4-1195_win7_x86_64.7z and
 - I am entering my credentials in exactly the same way every time and
 - all instances of Psi or Psi+ are running in exactly the same machine.

I tried turning off the antivirus and firewall.

Could someone please advise what I may have to do differently with Psi+.

P.S.

Earlier I thought that my servers may not be OMEMO supportive.  But the ability to log in from Technick's psi-portable-1.4-1195_win7_x86_64.7z seems to run counter to that.

I am linking these useful Web pages for anyone else looking into this area.

This page explains OMEMO:

This page lists servers as OMEMO supportive or not:

Message has been deleted

Funfief

May 26, 2020, 12:49:06 PM5/26/20
to Psi-Users

Responding to:
On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 1:21:14 AM UTC+9, Boris Pek wrote:

Thank you again.

I will try the portable and follow up on all your leads.

I was deleting and combining my earlier three posts into one (the one specifying the servers I am using), not knowing you were responding to one of them at the same time.

Sorry about that.