Better TeamCity integration?

Borek Bernard

Feb 4, 2012, 9:29:37 PM2/4/12
to psake-users
Is it correct that currently, in order for these instructions to work:
https://github.com/psake/psake/wiki/How-can-I-integrate-psake-with-Team-City%3F,
one must include psake.ps1 and psake.psm1 in the source control
repository? I tried not to but unsurprisingly, the build failed with
the "term '.\psake.ps1' is not recognized" error.

I am new to both PowerShell and psake so I may be doing something
wrong but if it is true that psake.ps1 and psm1 need to be included in
the repository, it doesn't feel quite right to me (I also don't
include msbuild.exe in order to build my solution etc. - hope you get
the point).

So the question is, isn't there a specialized TeamCity plugin that
would run PowerShell with psake preconfigured?

Thanks,
Borek

James Kovacs

Feb 9, 2012, 2:07:42 PM2/9/12
to psake...@googlegroups.com
You need to include psake in your repository. This is fairly typical of 3rd-party build systems (e.g. not MSBuild), including NAnt and others. The major advantage is that different projects can use different versions of the build tool without collision. You can upgrade to a new version or include fixes to the build system (e.g. psake) without worrying that you'll break another unrelated project. If you're worried about the size, psake.psm1 is 679 lines of Powershell including comments, documentation, and whitespace. All of psake is roughly 616kB of highly compressible text. So it's not going to bloat your repository.

HTH,
James
--
James Kovacs, B.Sc., M.Sc.
http://jameskovacs.com

Borek Bernard

Feb 12, 2012, 7:48:56 AM2/12/12
to psake-users
Thanks. I've asked also because I have had hard times integrating
psake with TeamCity so at that time I would appreciate a runner that
would "just work" (the problem was that psake was not reporting
failures to TeamCity and the build always appeared as green). But we
now have a fixed version of psake in our repository so we ended up
using what you suggested :)

Thanks,
Borek