PARTICIPATION REQUESTED: PRSSA FACULTY ADVISER EXPERIENCE STUDY

Adrienne Wallace

Nov 7, 2019, 12:37:00 PM11/7/19
to PRSSA Advisers

Hello friends,

Fellow PRSSA advisers Dr. Amanda J. Weed (Kennesaw State University), Dr. Adrienne Wallace (Grand Valley State University), Dr. Betsy Emmons (Samford University), and Dr. Kate Keib (Oglethorpe University) invite you to a research study, the findings of which will deepen academic understanding about the tie and attention faculty are assigning to the managing and maintaining of PRSSA chapters.

Past research has explored the student benefit of such organizations, but no studies that we are aware of have delved into the actual experience of faculty advisers. By exploring this area, we believe that individual faculty members can make informed decisions about whether and how to run campus chapters. In addition, practical changes could occur from the national PRSSA and PRSA office and from university leadership that could benefit faculty who serve in these roles and the students who participate.

To take the study, please use: http://bit.ly/PRSSAAdviser

Our apologies, due to the accuracy issues of information in this list and the lists maintained by PRSSA online, you may have received this request twice.

If you have any questions about the study, or would like to update your PRSSA adviser information, you may contact:

Dr. Adrienne A. Wallace, Grand Valley State University, at 616-331-3668 or wall...@gvsu.edu

IRB COMPLIANCE:

If you have any questions about your rights as a research participant, please contact the Office of Research Compliance & Integrity at Grand Valley State University, 1 Campus Drive, Allendale, MI. Phone: 616-331-3197. E-mail: r...@gvsu.edu.

This study has been reviewed by the Institutional Review Board at Grand Valley State University (Protocol #20-090-H).

Thank you for your time. We are excited to share the results with you.

Pronouns: she/her/hers (what’s this?)
Assistant Professor
Adviser, GVPRSSA & GrandPR
Twitter: @adriwall
Phone/Text: 616.566.0900

Ad&PR Blog: enLIGHTen
Ad&PR Internships: Interns
Annual Report: APRil Report
SOC Blog: dot[COM]
SOC Annual Report: Expressions

Michele Najor

Jul 20, 2020, 4:04:02 PM7/20/20
to PRSSA Advisers
Hi All. I'm looking for some guidance. I am the longtime faulty adviser for the PRSSA chapter at Wayne State. We are certified through PRSA National (CEPR) and are now preparing to go up for re-accreditation. A new requirement this time around is a PR-specific ethics course. I am currently create this course.  The only course we have currently in our dept is a general communication ethics class that really does not deal with PR at all and a new journalism history/ethics course. While I definitely have some ideas I'm hoping to look at what others are doing. Thanks for any help/guidance you are willing to provide.

Shelly Najor, PhD
Director, Undergraduate Public Relations Program
PRSSA Faculty Advisor

Christe McKittrick

Aug 11, 2020, 11:30:36 AM8/11/20
to PRSSA Advisers
You may want to post this in its own thread rather than in response to an old message.

I've developed a specific PR Law and Ethics for Miami University (Ohio) but have not been able to offer it for a couple of years. (We have a general JRN Law and Ethics course.)   I have found there are not really good textbooks for it. I have used a combination of a) general civics on history, courts, government; b) PR Law - free speech, commercial speech and regulated speech and c) PR and media ethics.

The books I found best are "Advertising and PR Law" 2nd Ed by Moore, Maye & Collins and "Media Ethics" by Lee Wilkins. I also used a general Governement book for the general civics instruction.

Students really like doing mock trials on concepts.

I attached an old syllibus and schedule.
- christe mckittrick, Miami University, Strategic Communications
Syllabus STC 450 SP17 Sec A.docx
Course Schedule STC 450A SP17.docx

Alison Novak

Aug 11, 2020, 11:54:04 AM8/11/20
to PRSSA Advisers
Hi,

Looks like a great time to teach the ethics course! The Arthur W. Page Center out of Penn State offers a free online course (with 11 modules) on PR ethics: https://www.bellisario.psu.edu/page-center. It makes a great foundation for a 10-15 week course or a supplement for other content.

Each module features two lectures & ppt files, case studies, quizzes, and discussion questions. Many also have videos and links to more information.

Hope this helps!
Alison

Alison N. Novak, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Public Relations & Advertising
College of Communication & Creative Arts
Rowan University

301 High Street, Room 325
Glassboro, NJ 08028
No...@Rowan.edu | AlisonTheProfessor.com
@AlisonNovak

Sonja Popp-Stahly, APR

Aug 11, 2020, 3:37:24 PM8/11/20
to PRSSA Advisers
Hi Shelly. I'm currently taking an 8-week Strategic Communication and Ethics class online as part of a master's program.

Here's the textbook we're using:
Title: Ethics in Public Relations
Author: Fitzpatrick, K.
Publisher: Sage
Edition/Year: 2006
ISBN-13: 978-1412917988

In addition to the textbook and PRSA Code of Ethics, we have multiple academic journal articles to read each week. We have two weekly discussion topics (one at the start of the week, one mid-week) that are usually related to a case study or situation in the news that we have to read about.

We have to write one well-researched paper on an organizational ethics issue of our choosing, with a few touch points throughout the term, submitting work in progress. We also had to identify and analyze the code of ethics of an organization of our choosing, and write a 1000-word reflection on an ethical issue related to an organization's online behavior.

Hope this helps!
Sonja Popp-Stahly, APR, Fellow PRSA
Professional Adviser, Purdue University PRSSA