Installation

Kary

Oct 8, 2011, 8:43:54 PM10/8/11
to PRS+ support
I am trying to install to my sony 600 but can not make it work. I can
not find the base image and when I run the runme.bat I get a dos
screen but nothing happens. I must be doing something wrong. Can you
help me?

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

Oct 9, 2011, 1:48:01 AM10/9/11
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

did you disable UAC as mentioned in readme?

Installation

MAKE SURE YOUR READER IS CHARGED before starting installation!!!

1) Install base image. (Skip this step if you've already done it before)
1.1) Unpack PRSP_600_base_flasher_1.0_by_amutin.zip on your PC
1.3) Connect your PRS 600 to your PC
1.4) run runme.bat (doubleclick it)
1.5) Sony's standard flasher UI will show up (that's why you need to disable UAC, this installer modifies Sony's, to install custom image)
1.6) Follow instructions on the screen.

Note: don't forget to restore UAC.

2) Install the update
2.1) Unpack PRSPInstaller folder from this archive to the root of the internal memory of the reader.
2.2) Restart the reader (there is no installer UI), installer will do all necessary steps during startap (invisible to the user, takes a couple of seconds).
2.3) Delete PRSPInstaller folder from internal memory (if it is still there :))

Svyatoslav Zemlyanukhin

Mar 30, 2013, 8:53:38 AM3/30/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I have exactly the same problem as was mentioned above, i am running windows 8, UAC disabled, what could be the problem? Is there any other way to install PRS+ frmware? I have PRS 600 and when i bought it it was already running custom firmware bacause they dont support russian language out of the box, so do i need to install base image? And what does it mean install base image? Thank you very much for your help!

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

Apr 1, 2013, 5:37:11 AM4/1/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

if custom firmware that it ran was PRS+, you don't need this "base" thing at all.

If you don't, you need to do it once. Subsequent updates will be simply unzipping some file into readers internal mem and ebooting it.

You are the first user with Win 8, so can't help you much.
I'd suggest trying to run base flasher as administrator / even better from XP mode.
Or simply do it on some other PC, after all you only need to do that once.

Joe Leung

May 27, 2013, 11:55:46 AM5/27/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I tried to install PRS+ for my 650 by PRSP_650_2.0.18.zip from the Project site. I was stopped midway as it required me to update the system first (currently 1.0.00.08100). Went to Sony esupport site to update but repeatedly getting error message "Update isn't complete. Please try again".

I have previously had a Chinese hack (Jargion78). Could this have hindered the system update? Any way around it?

As I understand, the system update is not a critical one. Is there any means to install PRS+ without first performing system update?

Thanks for any advice u can provide.

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

May 28, 2013, 4:44:19 AM5/28/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

unfortunately I have no idea what the Chinese hack is...  (could you post a link?)
The author of it should know better how to get rid of it, so that updates can be installed.

Installing PRS+ without performing system update first is dangerous and could brick your reader.

Joseph Leung

May 28, 2013, 11:44:39 AM5/28/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I used a package (see http://115.com/file/czznafp3) picked up from a Chinese forum n installed by clicking flash_reader.bat as instructed.

Fyr I tried "hard resetting" the 650 but still unable to get the Sony system update. The Chinese menu apparently still remained after "hard resetting".

Joseph Leung

Jun 11, 2013, 5:32:31 AM6/11/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Wonder if u hv any chance to look at the link I last sent.

I tried to contact the original author but so far was not successful.

Regards

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

Jun 11, 2013, 5:54:41 AM6/11/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com

Did you try installing Sony's firmware by using PRS+ uninstaller?

Joseph Leung

Jun 14, 2013, 2:46:10 AM6/14/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi

No, I haven't. U mean I can uninstall the Chinese hack too with the PRS+ Uninstaller?

I am sort of kindergarten level iro IT. Cud u advise in more details what the steps shud be?

Regards/Joseph

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

Jun 14, 2013, 3:01:21 AM6/14/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you should be able to uninstall Chinese hack with PRS+ Uninstaller.
All uninstaller does is basically roll over standard firmware.

It is a bit risky though, since we don't know what the guys did.