Sony 950

antod...@yahoo.it

Jun 5, 2012, 6:47:55 PM6/5/12
to PRS+ support
Hi, thank you for this interesting forum.
I tried to install android on my PRS-950 but i was not able to make it
as i think the root which is on internet (
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2011/10/22/sony-reader-t1-hack-now-available/#.T86H2MXNmJU)
is only good for sony 650/600 as they have different firmware from
950. I really appreciate if you could tell me how to do it.
I also would like to have the possibility to control the audio player
in the same time that I read the text file. It means when I listen to
the audio (mp3 file) while I read the same text in pdf. For example if
I have an eBook which has also the audio file I need to synchronize
the audio and the text manually. So in this case I have to start/
pause, rewind/forward, but when i do that it's already to late to
follow the text because the audio buttons are not displayed in the
same page of the text. The ideal it would be to have a button hacked
which could pause/play the audio file in the same time you have a pdf/
text file that you are reading in front of you.
I think it could be made in this way:
- change and replace the function of the rewind/forward pages button
(which are useless as you can turn pages touching the screen) with a
play/pause buttons for the audio.
Thanks for reading and for your time
I look from to hearing from you soon
Antonio

Ben

Jun 6, 2012, 1:38:42 AM6/6/12
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonio,

The PRS-950 is not android compatible, so the T1 android hacks will not work.

However, what you are wanting to do is available using PRS+ (http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/).  One of the firmware additions is the ability to assign different functions to the keys ("Key Bindings"), and using this it is possible to assign play/pause to one of the page buttons.

Sincerely,
Ben.

antonio di fiore

Jun 6, 2012, 2:41:50 PM6/6/12
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
thank you very much, you don't know how much this advise it is useful for me, I was looking to change the combination buttons since long time, thanks again. I just have noticed a downside, though. I can't find more than one dictionary now installed, before I had 12 dictionaries by default now I have only english-italian. There is any chance to have them back? I also have plenty of dictionaries-encyclopedias from babylon and lingoes, if I can pass to you wouold you be able to put in a new firmware?
I have another suggestion to make. If it would be possible add another function, rewind/forward for audio files. Instead of pass to next files it would be great to have another button which could go forward/rewind through the file which you are listening to, maybe when you 'holding button pages', just like in the cd/dvd remote control, where you have double option.
Thanks for reading and for your time
best regards
Antonio

Jun 6, 2012, 3:02:57 PM6/6/12
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com, antonio di fiore
Hi there,

No, I don't think I can do anything about the dictionaries.

As for key bindings that would handle fast-forward and rewind functions, I can take a look.  But the underlying functions would need to be in the standard firmware.  I don't think I could add those functions from scratch.

Sincerely,
Ben.

antonio di fiore

Jun 6, 2012, 6:42:19 PM6/6/12
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
thanks for your quick feedback. I bought my Sony950 from USA last year from ebay, as in Europe has never been released. So all language is in English. Sony 950 is sold always with New Oxford American Dictionary, Second Edition and Oxford Dictionary of English. There are also 10 translation dictionaries in languages such as French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch that comes pre-loaded into the device. Since have installed your firmware they disappeared and now there is only the one that i was using at the moment of installation, english-italian. But it's ok, thanks to you I have a full control of audio with new functionality and this is more important to me. So it's not a problem. Thank you for your help and advice
kind regards
Antonio

Jun 7, 2012, 6:25:17 AM6/7/12
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thanks for your quick feedback. I solved the problem, the dictionaries are back in my Sony950. I uninstalled and reinstalled your firmware, and now there is no problem at all. I thought of an implementation, if u agree. Do you think it would be possible to add an auto-rotate display functionality as it exists today in most of tablets/phones? There is already an orientation feature in the sony950 but it must be selected trough the button. It would be handy to have an automatic one.
Thanks for reading and for your patience.
kind regards
Antonio

Jan 16, 2013, 8:01:08 AM1/16/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
Any news on the 2.1.02a support for this model?

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

Jan 16, 2013, 8:35:29 AM1/16/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Working on it, coming soon.

oystein tvede

Apr 8, 2013, 8:58:00 AM4/8/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Any news?

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

Apr 8, 2013, 8:58:47 AM4/8/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Realistic release date is end of April-early May.

oystein tvede

Apr 9, 2013, 7:10:07 AM4/9/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Thanks for keeping on with the good work.

Antonio Di Fiore

Oct 25, 2013, 6:22:21 PM10/25/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,
today I reset my prs950 with your firmware in it, (http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/) but among the key bindings there is nowhere anymore the option 'play-stop', which was very useful. I also reinstall more times your firmware, but with no result. There is any chance to get a new version of the firmware?
Thank you
Regards

Ben

Oct 25, 2013, 8:07:56 PM10/25/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonio,

The project is sort of on hold for the moment, sorry.  The only thing I can suggest is that you build your own update.  The instructions are here.

Sincerely,
Ben.