650 with PRS+ takes looong time to start up

Matsya

Nov 27, 2013, 2:07:54 PM11/27/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
hi, i installed PRS+ yesterday. now my PRS-650 reader takes about 5 mins to start up and about the same whenever i highlight during reading session. the latter is serious problem for me, because i read some scriptures in which i often highlight. what to do, is there any solution? thanks.

Ben

Nov 27, 2013, 5:28:17 PM11/27/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Try doing a full shutdown and reboot and see if the problem goes away.  I am using PRS+ on a PRS-650 and it works fine.

The other thing may be the number of books you have on the device, or the particular epub that you are currently reading.  If after the reboot things are no different, try loading a different book (a short one), and see if the highlighting is still really slow.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Matsya

Nov 28, 2013, 5:12:48 AM11/28/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
full shutdown is what resulted in about 10 mins start up today. the problem could be in about a hundred pdf documents that i keep on the device, but original firmware never caused such delay in either start up or highlighting. during the start up today the battery went flat. that was only the second start up after having the battery at about 75%.
so i guess i'd have to uninstall PRS+? or perhaps there is some other suggestion? thanks.

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

Nov 28, 2013, 7:29:18 AM11/28/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matsya,

did you change any settings? (there are some rather time consuming options).

If not, improving performance is the top prio in current developments, you might want try later versions of PRS+, when they are available.
Uninstaller is available in downloads section of the project site.

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Matsya <matsya...@gmail.com> wrote:
full shutdown is what resulted in about 10 mins start up today. the problem could be in about a hundred pdf documents that i keep on the device, but original firmware never caused such delay in either start up or highlighting. during the start up today the battery went flat. that was only the second start up after having the battery at about 75%.
so i guess i'd have to uninstall PRS+? or perhaps there is some other suggestion? thanks.

Matsya

Nov 28, 2013, 9:00:51 AM11/28/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
hi Mikheil
unfortunately, i haven't changed anything, it's a fresh installation. i even deleted some files from the device, hoping that would result in better performance. even after couple of reboots it takes 10 mins for start up. it's quick to shut down, it seems even quicker than the original firmware, but booting up is killing. after only two start ups today, nothing else, the full battery is down one mark from completely full.
the same thing happened with highlighting, although i haven't tried that today.
i re-installed PRS+ today, but the problem persists.

anyway, thank you both guys for your support and i'm hoping future releases will solve cases like mine. so sorry i'd not be able to use your version for now.
all the best!

Mikheil Sukhiashvili

Nov 28, 2013, 2:09:30 PM11/28/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
10 minutes to startup is very extreme, haven't seen that.
Becoming slower was reported (but mostly on slower devices like 600) and it seems like we've hit a limit and need stop adding features and optimize for performance.

Anyway, you might want to try older versions. E.g. 2.0.11beta, it has less features but should be faster.
Are there particular features you were looking for?

ps
Old downloads can be found here:

Matsya

Nov 28, 2013, 4:04:30 PM11/28/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
thanks, Mikheil! yes, what i've been able to prefer during this limited experience with prs+, is the ability to customize the home screen, the Custom view settings under Book viewer is very useful to me and to have the number of pages to go before the end of chapter is a great add on. but probably most of all, to save highlights in a separate file is what i'm dieing for, literary. i'm using my device mainly for studying, especially while traveling, hence my needs are shaped into that direction.

it could be that this feature of saving highlights in a separate file is causing such extreme delays. i don't really know what prs+ is exactly doing - you do! - so please note that i have over 1500 highlights and notes. could it be that this is creating problems? i can see now that this feature has been turned on under save notepad data menu. basically, i remember now, this feature attracted me to prs+, i've heard somewhere (unverifyed though) that i could export somehow my notes and highlights from this device to notebook, by having them available in a separate file.
what do you think? is this where the problem is?
thank you again!

Ben

Nov 29, 2013, 12:12:59 AM11/29/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matsya,

I was the person who added the "save highlights" addon.  Basically, it only saves new notes and highlights - it won't do anything with your existing ones.  It has been a while since I looked at the code, but having a lot of existing notes and highlights might be causing things to go slow.

However, I know that the "number of pages to the end of the chapter" is the addon that really slowed my PRS+ down.  Try turning that one off and see if things improve.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Matsya

Nov 29, 2013, 9:54:21 AM11/29/13
to prsp-s...@googlegroups.com
hi Ben, thanks for your input. please note that the problems manifested as they are now even with fresh instalation. my subsequent changing according to my preferences (as i described above), likely influenced the performance, but obviously not much. it could be that with the Pages to the end of chapter addon turned off the device took a minute or two less than the current 10 to start up.
i guess i'm one of the hard(er) cases...