SNA, Goethe Institut To Host Roundtable On Benin Bronzes

Moderator Msn

May 21, 2023, 5:54:18 PM5/21/23
to Museum Security Network, threat_to_af...@googlegroups.com, (null)

SNA, Goethe Institut To Host Roundtable On Benin Bronzes

by Chinelo Chikelu - 2 days ago

The Society of Nigerian Artists (SNA) Abuja Chapter, in collaboration with Goethe Institut is hosting a roundtable on The Benin Bronzes on May 27, 2023 at the Thought Pyramid Art Gallery, Abuja.

Since several European countries have agreed to repatriate the hundreds of stolen artefacts back to Nigeria, it has generated a lot of debate around the process of their repatriation, preservation and maintenance, not to mention several conditions attached to the returning of the Benin Bronzes by the European countries – that stole the artefacts. In addition, narratives surrounding the artefacts returns are foreign-generated with no Nigerian perspective on the matter. Even the nation’s press reports on the processes surrounding the artefacts return are sourced from the foreign media.

‘The Benin Bronzes Roundtables: A Conversation on Benin Bronzes and Nigeria: Self Serving Cultural Diplomacy, or a Service to Nigeria? A Part of History, or a Pathway to the Future?’, is aimed at presenting a Nigerian narrative on the Benin Bronzes, and what their return means to the Oba of Benin.

“Most of the narratives and discussions on the Benin Bronze in the foreign press are largely negative and misinformation on what the repatriation of the bronze means to Nigerians and the artefacts handover to the Oba of Benin. There is a whole lot of misinformation on the latter across foreign media. It is important for us, that the Nigerian media change that narrative, to ensure that the right information is dissemination. I believe that our partners (Goethe Institute) are working at helping international media key into what we are doing as well,” said sculptor and visual artist, Helen Nzete.

On the benefit of such discuss to the average Nigerian, Nzete, the winner of the 2021 Spanish Visual Arts Competition said it promotes public awareness and the presents the Nigerian public to factor their opinion on the national artefact.

“It was important for us to have the Director General of the National Commission for Museums & Monuments on the panel so that Nigerians can interact with him. We only know as much as the Nigerian government allows. The panel will create public awareness on the issue, and ensure Nigerians know that they have a voice and share their knowledge on the subject. We hope that the audience will be willing to interact with the guests on the panel and engage in the conversation so that their suggestions can help drive effective policies for the repatriation and restitution and preservation of the artefacts.

“It is a townhall meeting, a call for participation in the discussion, otherwise it will just be a government-to-government interaction. The idea is to say “if you want to have a discussion about the Benin Bronze, or make negotiations about it, then start with Nigerians not with foreigners. The Benin Bronzes we are looking at today is beyond Edo State. I am not limiting the role and place of Edo State, but they date back beyond the present Edo State. It is a cultural heritage that is Nigeria’s identity. But we have a member of the royal family from Edo State who hails from the Ozoro Kingdom, of the ancient Benin royal family, and an authority in the tradition and culture of the Benin people in the panel.”

“The role of the press is to report the fact that the roundtable take place, what Nigerians are saying about the Benin Bronze, as well as report Nigerian narratives on the artefacts,” said artist, Roland Goyit.

Among the eight individuals scheduled to feature in the roundtable discuss are, the director general, National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Abba Tijani; deputy ambassador, Embassy of Germany, Nigeria, Mr Martin Huth; national president, Society of Nigerian Artists, Mohammed Suleiman; Media Consultant, Vanessa A. Offiong CNN Nigeria; development economist, Ayo Oyalowo and director general National Copyright Commission, John Asein. Other panel discussants include a professor of Ahmed Bello University, Professor Ken Okoli; Benin historian and heir to the Ozoro Kingdom of Benin, Prince Akeni Prosper; and panel moderator, Professor of Art History and Criticism at Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria, Gambo Duniya.

© 2023 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.