Fwd: Land Reform and Debt Cancellation: A Post Flood Discussion

Moneeza Ahmed

Oct 25, 2010, 12:41:38 AM10/25/10
to proud-pa...@googlegroups.com, hill...@googlegroups.com

Land Reform and Debt Cancellation: A post flood discussion

You are invited to a discussion and teach in session on the dire situation affecting millions post the catastrophic 2010 floods. The discussion will focus on Pakistan's external debt, development expenditure, rehabilitation of the flood victims and land reform.

The recent floods have exposed how vulnerable the poor rural population of Pakistan is to natural catastrophes. Having lost their homes, animals and crops in the floods and now landless and in debt, people in many parts of the country continue to suffer from the inherent inequalities and inefficiencies of an unjust system.

Some of the questions, we had while planning this event were:

-  How has the current power structure allowed the government to incur heavy amounts of debt without any results?

-  How has monopolistic land ownership in Pakistan impeded our social, economic and political development?

-  Why is it that after incurring over $50 billion of debt, the social infrastructure of this country is in a degenerate state?

-  How much of the Government's debt has been invested back into development & skill training for the people?

-  What is the Government's rehabilitation plan for the flood victims? What should be the land reform attached?

-  How can one man own 100,000 acres and others be condemned to landlessness, poverty and debt?

We will have a facilitated discussion with the participants after presentations on debt cancellation and land reform.

Organized by The Sindh Labour Relief Committee.

Date: Friday 29th October 2010

Time: 7:00 PM-9:00 PM

Location: The Second Floor (t2f)

--
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky - Tagore