Re: Digest for protovis@googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 1 Topic

Arbnor Hasani

May 3, 2012, 7:56:08 AM5/3/12
to prot...@googlegroups.com
thanks Mike,

I will definitely switch to D3, but I started work on this when D3 was a separate project from Protovis and I was wondering if I can still use the old code.

thanks anyway

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM, <prot...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/protovis/topics

    Nori <arb...@gmail.com> May 02 08:29AM -0700

    Hi Protovis-ers,

    I am trying to visualize some data for municipalities in the same way
    as the example in protovis http://mbostock.github.com/protovis/ex/choropleth.html

    I am instead using radio buttons to choose different indicators that
    need to be visualized. This in practice should result only in changing
    colors of each municipality (just like they do when the year slider is
    played in the example).

    But it turns out that this is pretty slow if you call vis.render() to
    re-render the complete map and colors if the shapes of the
    municipalities are not with straight lines but rather complex. In
    other words my us_lowers.js file is 4 times as big and it is executed
    4 times as slow when new data is visualized after user has picked a
    particular radio button!

    Is anyone aware of a way to not render the whole graph together with
    shapes (in other words not to re-draw borders of municipalities) but
    simply update the color of each shape based on the new data that are
    read after an onclick event on a radio button?

    thanks a lot

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group protovis.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

Arbnor Hasani, MSc
Design Center Officer
Innovations Lab Kosovo