Point Behavior in D3

Robert Monteverde

Mar 19, 2011, 4:24:13 PM3/19/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of converting some of my protovis models into d3 models.   I was wondering if there was a new method of implementing point like behavior (I have a line graph with dots on the data points).  I am trying to get tipsy tooltips to work.

If this is a feature that still needs developing, let me know, I can attempt to do that on another day.

So far I'm loving d3, but definitely need to get that SVG Essentials book or something similar.  Anyone know any good online SVG references?

Thanks,

Bob Monteverde
This e-mail message, and any attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or entity identified in the alias address of this message and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and subject to legal restrictions and penalties regarding its unauthorized disclosure and use. Any unauthorized review, copying, disclosure, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message, and any attachments, from your system. Thank you.

Mike Bostock

Mar 19, 2011, 11:46:58 PM3/19/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com, Robert Monteverde
> I was wondering if there was a new method of implementing point
> like behavior (I have a line graph with dots on the data points).  I am
> trying to get tipsy tooltips to work.

I haven't played with this yet, but it's a feature I would like to
have as well. :) There are a number of possible strategies; you might
even overlay an invisible Voronoi diagram! There's a research paper on
this subject that's worth reading:

http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/papers/tgrossman_CHI2005.pdf

> So far I'm loving d3, but definitely need to get that SVG Essentials book or
> something similar.  Anyone know any good online SVG references?

I spend a lot of time looking at the spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

Mike

JanWillem Tulp

Mar 20, 2011, 7:42:29 AM3/20/11
to protovis
The SVG essentials book by O'Reilly is also freely available online:
http://commons.oreilly.com/wiki/index.php/SVG_Essentials

I use that one, and the SVG spec Mike refers to mostly...

Robert Monteverde

Mar 20, 2011, 2:43:17 PM3/20/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I was already considering an attempt at using some form of an invisible Voronoi diagram to accomplish this. Sadly the previous week has left my brain in a scrambled state, and only really accomplishing mindless work right now. Making some solid progress at converting all my protovis models into d3 ones, sadly tool-tips are quite
the implementation blocker for me right now.

I'll see what I can whip up this week, if I have time.

Bob

I was wondering if any progress has been done in the point
behavior...

On 20 Mrz., 20:43, Robert Monteverde <b...@novus.com> wrote:
> Actually, I was already considering an attempt at using some form of an invisible Voronoi diagram to accomplish this.  Sadly the previous week has left my brain in a scrambled state, and only really accomplishing mindless work right now.  Making some solid progress at converting all my protovis models into d3 ones, sadly tool-tips are quite
> the implementation blocker for me right now.
>
> I'll see what I can whip up this week, if I have time.
>
> Bob

> From: mbost...@gmail.com [mbost...@gmail.com] on behalf of Mike Bostock [mbost...@cs.stanford.edu]

Nate Vack

Sep 29, 2011, 10:04:02 AM9/29/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com
Turns out the Voronoi diagram approach, combined with clipping paths, is a really elegant solution to this problem. Here's a skeletal pointing demo, adapted from the d3 Voronoi demo:

Regards,
-Nate