Re: SENIOR WEB / UI DEVELOPER - New York, NY

Message has been deleted

T.J. Crowder

Aug 6, 2008, 3:16:58 AM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Hi all,

I approved the message above, but I left the sender in moderated
status. Do folks want to see this kind of thing provided the job in
question is, in fact, related to the sorts of technologies we discuss
in the group? Or should we call all of these spam and can them? I
didn't want to can this message silently, I thought the group should
be able to say where we draw the line.

So weigh in if you think I got this wrong. Or for that matter if you
think I got it right. :-)
--
T.J. Crowder
tj / crowder software / com

On Aug 5, 9:47 pm, anony <dave.mat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> *       The company is assembling a cross-discipline core team to create a
> world-class enterprise system without legacy shackles.
> *       The team will be led by a veteran strategist committed to mentoring
> on how to achieve an effective balance between business, design and
> technology.
> *       Unlike most large financial services companies, this initiative
> (MRUNEXT) is characterized by the clear absence of bureaucracy,
> departmental politics and infighting.
> *       This unit will move swiftly and expertly to cut through complex
> problems, with sufficient time granted for research and rapid
> prototyping.
> *       The team will create a new, enterprise-wide and service oriented
> architecture. MRUNEXT will seamlessly integrate all functional units
> of the company at a deep level through rules-engine based analytics.
> Access to this power will be through a commercial-grade, polished UI
> on multiple desktop and mobile platforms.
> *       MRU's strategy is to grow through rapid innovation and sophisticated
> application of latest technology in various sectors of the financial
> services and education industries.
> *       You can join a large, lethargic company with a volume-based business
> model or be a part of MRUNEXT, a unique opportunity to learn and make
> a genuine difference.
>
> MRU BACKGROUND
> *       MRU Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq:  UNCL) is a publicly traded specialty
> finance company that provides student loans under the renowned brand
> name MyRichUncle®.
> *       MRU is the fastest growing company in the private student loan
> sector (at approximately 100% per year), with over three billion
> dollars in application volume in 2007 and originations close to half a
> billion dollars to date.
> *       MRU is financially backed by Battery Ventures, BlackRock and Lehman
> Brothers, with extensive credit facilities from Merrill Lynch and DZ
> Bank AG. The company raised $23.5 million in common equity through
> Bear Stearns and Piper Jaffrey in December 2007 and closed $200
> million securitization of prime private loans in June 2007.
> *       MRU is the only lender performing stringent debt-to-income analysis
> through patent-pending technology, which attributes to a delinquency
> rate that is less than half of its major competitors.
> *       MRU was cited by Reuters and the Wall Street Journal as the key
> benefactor of the student loan scandal of 2007, as the only conflict-
> free direct-to-consumer lender.
> *       MRU owns Embark, the company that invented the online college
> admissions application, and has key strategic partnerships, including
> The Princeton Review, a leading provider of test prep and education
> services reaching more than two million applicants each year and STA
> Travel, the world¹s largest student and youth travel company,
> servicing over 2.5 million students each year.

ColinFine

Aug 6, 2008, 6:26:26 AM8/6/08

On Aug 6, 8:16 am, "T.J. Crowder" <t...@crowdersoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I approved the message above, but I left the sender in moderated
> status.  Do folks want to see this kind of thing provided the job in
> question is, in fact, related to the sorts of technologies we discuss
> in the group?  Or should we call all of these spam and can them?  I
> didn't want to can this message silently, I thought the group should
> be able to say where we draw the line.

For me, this is spam and I don't want to see it (even if it were in
the right country I wouldn't want to see it).

Colin

Matt Petrovic

Aug 6, 2008, 9:35:40 AM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
I feel like this isn't the place for help wanted ads. This is a
support group.

T.J. Crowder

Aug 6, 2008, 12:15:01 PM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Hi all,

Just realised I didn't include my opinion on it: I'd rather we didn't
allow job postings like this here either. I just didn't want to take
that decision without consultation.

So that's three "no"s so far and no "yes"s.

-- T.J. :-)

Christophe Porteneuve

Aug 6, 2008, 12:20:41 PM8/6/08
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
Nay as well.

--
Christophe Porteneuve aka TDD
t...@tddsworld.com

kangax

Aug 6, 2008, 12:24:38 PM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
I say - no.

--
kangax

Brian Williams

Aug 6, 2008, 12:31:40 PM8/6/08
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I won't fight the majority opinion if it decides to ban those types of postings, but i have no objection to seeing a job posting here, as long as they don't get horribly out of control.

just my $.02

T.J. Crowder

Aug 6, 2008, 12:31:44 PM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Well, if it keeps on like this, I'll delete the message tomorrow
(keeping the rest of the thread). :-)

Leonard Burton

Aug 6, 2008, 1:34:21 PM8/6/08
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
My opinion is:

If you recognize the job posting is from a regular contributor on this
list, then I say allow them to have some personal privilege, and
especially if it is a personal posting and not a cut and paste.
Otherwise, can them.

Thanks,

Leonard.

--
Leonard Burton, N9URK
http://www.jiffyslides.com

"The prolonged evacuation would have dramatically affected the
survivability of the occupants."

T.J. Crowder

Aug 6, 2008, 1:53:47 PM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Good distinction, Leonard.

-- T.J. :-)

On Aug 6, 6:34 pm, "Leonard Burton" <leonardbur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My opinion is:
>
> If you recognize the job posting is from a regular contributor on this
> list, then I say allow them to have some personal privilege, and
> especially if it is a personal posting and not a cut and paste.
> Otherwise, can them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leonard.
>
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:31 PM, T.J. Crowder <t...@crowdersoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, if it keeps on like this, I'll delete the message tomorrow
> > (keeping the rest of the thread). :-)
>
> > On Aug 6, 5:24 pm, kangax <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I say - no.
>
> >> --
> >> kangax
>
> --
> Leonard Burton, N9URKhttp://www.jiffyslides.com
> serv...@jiffyslides.com
> leonardbur...@gmail.com

Ryan Gahl

Aug 6, 2008, 3:33:44 PM8/6/08
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
My thought is that we are a community here, and a valuable one at that. With community comes opportunities to connect. Connect to each other and connect to outsiders who need us (in one way or another). I think if there's someone in this community that can fit a job posting, why not allow it? After all, it makes us even more valuable. Alternatively, I'd agree to only allow it for known community members. But really, it's not spam in the sense of "look at hot pictures now!", and comes in so in-frequently that ignoring or hitting delete on it if you aren't interested seems like a minor thing to me.

my $.02

Alex Hernandez

Aug 6, 2008, 4:36:10 PM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
I say no.

this kind of messages has a Google Group (http://groups.google.com/
group/it_help_desk?hl=en&lnk=)

.::AleX::.

darrinholst

Aug 6, 2008, 5:02:56 PM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
I say no, there are a few exceptions that people are suggesting which
I think makes the moderator's job a little tougher than a simple yes/
no to unsolicited advertisements. There are plenty of places to go job
hunting if you're in that mode.

(Unless of course it's a lucrative job offer in central Iowa, then I'm
all for it :)

Darrin

Tobie Langel

Aug 6, 2008, 7:31:09 PM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Ya, I'm not against offers here, but these should be personalized and
come from an existing community member.

Best,

Tobie

Oh, and BTW, thanks for your awesome work so far T.J.

mocambo

Aug 6, 2008, 10:30:49 PM8/6/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
I give my favorable vote for Tobie's suggestion especially for second
part of this. Otherwise it should be recognized as spam.

Thanks !

Michael Stephens

Aug 6, 2008, 4:57:38 PM8/6/08
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I say direct post to someone you may think is a good fit for a job.
Michael Stephens

Electrical Engineering Graduate Student
University of Wyoming
fal...@uwyo.edu or 89i...@gmail.com

T.J. Crowder

Aug 7, 2008, 4:21:54 AM8/7/08
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Hi all,

It sounds like there's a pretty good consensus around this, thanks
everyone. Here's my read of it:

1. If it's an unsolicited job posting that gets held for moderation,
by definition it's coming from someone who hasn't been active on the
group before. Bin it and ban the sender, just like the pron and ED
spam.

2. If it's from someone who's been active on the group in the past, it
won't be held for moderation, so it'll get posted immediately. Deal
with these on a case-by-case basis; blatant broad-brush spam should be
binned retrospectively, but this probably won't come up that often.
It'll more likely be someone like me saying "Hey, I've been offered
this gig in central Iowa but I'm in the UK -- don't I remember someone
here saying they were in central Iowa?" ;-)

(I've deleted the message that started this thread and banned the OP.
It's telling that the OP hasn't weighed in on this discussion.)

Thanks all,
--
T.J. Crowder
tj / crowder software / com