Cannot bring up newly created image

Divyashri Bhat

Aug 26, 2014, 5:06:44 PM8/26/14
to geni-...@googlegroups.com, protoge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just created an image from the Standard Ubuntu 12.04 OVS image provided at the IG Kettering rack. When I try to bring it up at Kettering using the URN I have no problems. I am able to login to the image as well.

However, when I try to use the URL at other racks (e.g UtahDDC and NYU) I get the following error and the reservation does not take place at all:

Task encountered a fault: Error: Could not setup images:
*** image_import:

I used Flack from the GENI Portal to create the image. The image details are as below:

Could you please help me out with this or let me know if any additional information is required to debug this?

Thanks,

--
Regards,
Divyashri Bhat

Leigh Stoller

Aug 26, 2014, 5:12:57 PM8/26/14
to geni-...@googlegroups.com, protoge...@googlegroups.com
> Could not read metadata from https://www.geni.kettering.edu/image_metadata.php?uuid=a434eb83-2d58-11e4-a0f4-000000000000
>
> I used Flack from the GENI Portal to create the image. The image details are as below:

Hi. In order to use the image outside the rack on which it was
created, you have to mark it with the shared (or global, I forget)
flag. There should have been a place on the Flack page to do that.

I set that bit for you, so you should able to get it now.

Leigh

Niky Riga

Aug 26, 2014, 5:22:47 PM8/26/14
to geni-...@googlegroups.com, protoge...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh,

Can you say a bit more on this, is this something new? How can someone set that bit, let's say from
the native API so that we can use OMNI to do this?

Thanks,
Niky

Divyashri Bhat

Aug 26, 2014, 5:30:52 PM8/26/14
to geni-...@googlegroups.com, protoge...@googlegroups.com
I am able to use this image on other racks now. Thanks Leigh.

I did find a flag that says Global(screenshot attached) but this was checked by default and I don't recall unchecking it. However, my image was still not reachable from the other racks.

Thanks,

createimg.png

Leigh Stoller

Aug 26, 2014, 5:33:50 PM8/26/14
to geni-...@googlegroups.com, protoge...@googlegroups.com
> Can you say a bit more on this, is this something new? How can someone
> set that bit, let's say from the native API so that we can use OMNI to
> do this?

I don't think it has changed ... but there has been a lot of development in
that code lately. I will check.

According to the OMNI source, it is makePublic ...

def createimage(self, args):
'''ProtoGENI's createimage function: snapshot the disk for a
single sliver (node), giving it the given image name.
See http://www.protogeni.net/trac/protogeni/wiki/ImageHowTo'''
# args: sliceURNOrName, sliverURN, imageName, makePublic=True
# Plus the AM(s) to invoke this at
# sliver urn from the -U argument
# So really we just need slice name, imageName, and makePublic
# This is a PG function, and only expected to work at recent
# PG AMs

Leigh

Sarah Edwards

Aug 26, 2014, 5:34:24 PM8/26/14
to geni-...@googlegroups.com, Sarah Edwards, protoge...@googlegroups.com
omni -h says this:

So it looks to me like omni defaults to making the image public unless you specifically say you want it to be private.

Sarah Edwards
GENI Project Office

BBN Technologies
Cambridge, MA
phone:    (617) 873-2329
email:    sedw...@bbn.com

Niky Riga

Aug 26, 2014, 6:07:44 PM8/26/14
to protoge...@googlegroups.com, geni-...@googlegroups.com, Sarah Edwards
Aw ok, all these make sense, that is I why I have never noticed this before since.

Thanks all for clarifying.

--niky

Sarah Edwards wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "protogeni-users" group.

Leigh Stoller

Aug 26, 2014, 6:09:02 PM8/26/14
to geni-...@googlegroups.com, protoge...@googlegroups.com, Sarah Edwards
> Aw ok, all these make sense, that is I why I have never noticed this before since.

I poked around in the code and I do not see anything that
dings any bells, so I’ve turned on debugging for that method.

Leigh