cpp examples fail to compile on master?

Tanuj Khattar

Sep 15, 2022, 4:07:02 PM9/15/22
to Protocol Buffers
Hi Everyone,

I want to use Protobufs for one of my bazel based C++ projects and I'm struggling to get a basic setup working. It seems the c++ examples on the master branch are also broken and fail to compile?

See https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1dlCsApnVHW3rT7qM6jlNXCuJv3t_9IkV?usp=sharing for more details. I'm seeing the same errors on my local machine as well.

Steps to reproduce:
```
> bazel --version
bazel 5.3.0
> git clone https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf.git && cd protobuf/examples
> bazel build :all
# Build fails.
```

Can someone please look into the issue?

Thanks
Tanuj

Mike Kruskal

Sep 16, 2022, 6:06:56 PM9/16/22
to Tanuj Khattar, Protocol Buffers
Hey Tanuj,

This seems like a bug in our Bazel/testing setup.  I'll follow up on this separately, but if you just add the options `--cxxopt=-std=c++14 --host_cxxopt=-std=c++14` to the bazel command or to your `.bazelrc` file it should work.  e.g. this builds for me:
bazel build :all --cxxopt=-std=c++14 --host_cxxopt=-std=c++14

-Mike