proto store using kotlin builtin (not java lite)?

Steven Olson

May 20, 2022, 2:58:37 PM5/20/22
to Protocol Buffers
I have a small schema defined and have been using the java lite plugin generator and a Kotlin implementation using the java generated code and its been working fine. As an experiment while upgrading from 3.19.1 to 3.20.1, I decided trying to switch from the java lite generator to the Kotlin generator.  I have the Kotlin code for the schema generated, but am not understanding how to code the serializer implementation.

The doc/samples I've found so far all use java lite.  Is there doc or samples that show how to implement a serializer for a proto store when using the Kotlin generator? If there is no doc/sample yet, and someone else is interested in this, we can dig into the details of an androidx.datastore.core.Serializer subclass using the generated Kotlin code :-)

The fallback of course is to switch back to the java lite generator. But I would like to know if this is doable. Thanks in advance for any info.

Deanna Garcia

Aug 1, 2022, 2:29:00 PM8/1/22
to Protocol Buffers
Unfortunately kotlin does not have it's own serializer implementation yet, so you will have to use java's.