BUILD.bazel in the src/google/protobuf are not included in the zip file?

mingjun

Sep 4, 2022, 12:58:05 AM9/4/22
to Protocol Buffers
For example:
after unzip this, i don't see the BUILD.bazel under: src/google/protobuf

Anyone know why? or this is a bug?

the reason why i am asking:
I am trying to create a project which will depends on the @com_google_protobuf//src/google/protobuf:protobuf,  so i add following to my workspace and refer this, and I got error due to the missing BUILD.bazel.

http_archive(
name = "my_com_google_protobuf",
sha256 = "2d9084d3dd13b86ca2e811d2331f780eb86f6d7cb02b405426e3c80dcbfabf25",
)

Deanna Garcia

Sep 7, 2022, 5:27:12 PM9/7/22
to Protocol Buffers
We are currently in the process of increasing our bazel support in the protobuf repository. Unfortunately 3.21.1 was shipped without that bazel file as you can see in the 21.x branch. If you want to use that file you will either need to use the code on main branch or wait for the next release.

Xavier Bonaventura

Sep 12, 2022, 6:56:13 AM9/12/22
to Protocol Buffers
Deanna, I've just found the same issue. The latest https://github.com/protocolbuffers/upb cannot be used with any of the current protobuf releases but only the main branch. Is it already known approximately when a new version from the main branch will be released?
Would it be ok to create a github issue to track it? In this way it could be linked to the relevant github issues from other repositories.

Deanna Garcia

Sep 12, 2022, 12:35:21 PM9/12/22
to Protocol Buffers
The upb branches are created to work together with the protobuf counterparts. The main upb branch needs to utilize the main protobuf branch. The 21.x branch in upb works with the 21.x branch in protobuf.

We don't have a date for the next release, we have some more features we are aiming to get in before we release. We don't track releases with github issues, there will be an email on this mailing list to announce it.