Can I build libprotobuf without using bazel?

Davorin Mista

Nov 2, 2022, 3:29:23 PM11/2/22
to Protocol Buffers
Since I cannot figure out how to get bazel to not use MSVC I want to try building using autoconf/automake but I'm missing the initial "autogen.sh" referenced by the README.md in the src folder.
How do I get autogen.sh as mentioned in src/README.md or at least configure.ac which is normally used for automake?

Lee-Ann Coleman

Nov 2, 2022, 3:44:47 PM11/2/22
to Davorin Mista, Protocol Buffers
I keyed that exact term into my App Store and I found a app that did that

Since I cannot figure out how to get bazel to not use MSVC I want to try building using autoconf/automake but I'm missing the initial "autogen.sh" referenced by the README.md in the src folder.
How do I get autogen.sh as mentioned in src/README.md or at least configure.ac which is normally used for automake?

Adam Cozzette

Nov 2, 2022, 3:58:04 PM11/2/22
to Davorin Mista, Protocol Buffers
We have actually removed support for the autotools build, and 3.21 was the last release that supported it. If you want to avoid Bazel then I would recommend using CMake, since we will continue supporting CMake in future releases.

Davorin Mista

Nov 2, 2022, 5:37:20 PM11/2/22
to Protocol Buffers
Thanks for the prompt reply!

So that's good to know, I was trying to build 3.21.5 - but it is in that version that I am missing autogen.sh.
I could try downgrading to 3.20.3 if that changes things.

Also, I am not opposed to using cmake either but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get cmake to not use MSVC. I need to build libprotobuf withh gcc/cygwin but when I run cmake it just ignores my toolchain file and always goes back to MSVC 2019.

Thanks!
Davorin

Davorin Mista

Nov 2, 2022, 5:39:34 PM11/2/22
to Protocol Buffers
Oh wow, I just noticed that I was back on origin/master - that explains why autogen.sh had disappeared! Trying it again now
Thanks!!