Compatibility concerning "cc_enable_arenas"

zero xia

Aug 30, 2022, 10:05:39 PM8/30/22
to Protocol Buffers
Hi,

I'm using an old version of protobuf, which does not default to enable arena.

So for my .proto file, if I add this option:

option cc_enable_arenas = true;

Will it be compatible to application compiled with original .proto file? (i.e. no cc_enable_arenas).

What is the implifications of adding this option? e.g. code size increase?

Thanks.

Deanna Garcia

Sep 8, 2022, 5:52:16 PM9/8/22
to Protocol Buffers
Adding the arenas option is backwards compatible, so that will work for your other usages of the proto file. See this documentation for the answers to your last questions and more info about arenas!