New documentation to help with Protocol Buffer updates

David Castro

Feb 3, 2023, 4:09:21 PM2/3/23
to Protocol Buffers

We have added two new topics to our documentation to help you to keep track of support time frames for versions and to adapt to changes in the Protocol Buffers libraries when breaking changes are released.

The version support topic will be updated as new versions of the language libraries are released so that you can plan for end-of-support for particular versions. This is especially important when a new, breaking version has been released and you’re not ready to move to the new version, yet.

The migration guide makes it easier to adapt to the changes when you move to a new major version of a language library. It lists the specific changes in behavior and provides suggestions for how to adapt to those changes. The migration guide will be updated with each breaking release. If you notice any behaviors in a new release that are not covered in the migration guide, please submit an issue to let us know so we can update the topic accordingly.

Along this line, we also started publishing news in our documentation last year, including entries about upcoming breaking changes. This is a good place to keep an eye on so you’re aware of upcoming changes that may affect you.