Autogen.sh not found

helen ristov

Sep 13, 2022, 12:54:21 PM9/13/22
to Protocol Buffers
Hello,

I am getting an error that the autogen.sh is not found after I clone the directory. I have these setup instructions. Is there something that I am missing?

sudo apt-get install autoconf automake libtool curl make g++ unzip

git clone https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf.git

cd protobuf

git submodule update --init --recursive

./autogen.sh

./configure

sudo make

sudo make check

sudo make install

sudo ldconfig # refresh shared library cache

Mike Kruskal

Sep 14, 2022, 12:53:27 AM9/14/22
to helen ristov, Protocol Buffers
Hey Helen,

See the announcement for more information, but the TL;DR is that we're removing autotools support in our upcoming release.

The only C++ build systems we will support going forward are Bazel and CMake (see the updated documentation).  I'm curious where you got those setup instructions from?  The release is still a work in progress, so it's possible we've missed some references to the old instructions.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you have 3 options:

1) Use CMake as a roughly drop-in replacement for the old autotools workflow you referenced.  This is our only supported mechanism for installation of protobuf, and it looks like that might be what you want.

2) Install Bazel and use that for build and test.  This may be a bit of an adjustment depending on what you're doing

3) Work from the 21.x branch, which we will continue to support for at least 12 months after the 22.x release (according to our breaking change policy).

Thanks,
Mike

helen ristov

Sep 14, 2022, 10:48:41 AM9/14/22
to Mike Kruskal, Protocol Buffers
Thanks Mike,

I actually was able to get it to build using cmake. Just modified the instructions below. I'm setting up a VM for a project I am working on. We are developing a mobile app that can communicate with devices on cars. The communication is done through protobuf, but I'm getting my dev environment setup and just reading through instructions.

git clone https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf.git

cd protobuf

git submodule update --init --recursive

mkdir build

cd build

cmake ..

make

sudo make install

I'm setting up a VM for a project I'm working on that uses protobuf