Protobuf missing file on Tensorflow Object Detection API installation

Francisco Ferraz

Mar 23, 2022, 6:33:19 AM3/23/22
to Protocol Buffers
Hi,

I'm trying to install the Tensorflow Object Detection API by following this tutorial: https://tensorflow-object-detection-api-tutorial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html#tensorflow-installation

When I try to test the installation I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "object_detection/builders/model_builder_tf2_test.py", line 25, in <module> from object_detection.builders import model_builder File "/home/deeplearning/model_compression/TFOD-TRT/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/object_detection/builders/model_builder.py", line 23, in <module> from object_detection.builders import anchor_generator_builder File "/home/deeplearning/model_compression/TFOD-TRT/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/object_detection/builders/anchor_generator_builder.py", line 27, in <module> from object_detection.protos import anchor_generator_pb2 File "/home/deeplearning/model_compression/TFOD-TRT/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/object_detection/protos/anchor_generator_pb2.py", line 5, in <module> from google.protobuf.internal import builder as _builder ImportError: cannot import name 'builder'

I've made multiple tries and it seems to have nothing to do with NVIDIA/CUDA/Python or Tensorflow versions. Where is this file and why is it not appearing?

Thanks in advance,
Fran.

Maximilian Bachl

Apr 8, 2022, 8:34:46 AM4/8/22
to Protocol Buffers
I could solve the issue by not compiling my .proto files with the newest version of the protoc compiler but by using the previous version v3.19.4 (see https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf/releases).