Rust protobuf support

Yimeng Yang

Aug 8, 2021, 1:31:44 PM8/8/21
to Protocol Buffers
Hi!

I am trying to use protobuf in my rust actix server. There is this library https://github.com/actix/actix-extras/tree/master/actix-protobuf that seems quite nice, but doesn't do codegen. And I see there is this library for rust https://github.com/stepancheg/rust-protobuf/
On the main protobuf page there is no clear support for Rust, so I was just wondering what's the best practice for using protobuf in rust. Am I supposed to use codegen? What value does codegen bring? I think if I don't use codegen, I could do customization for the struct in rust, for example, impl some trait for it. But with codegen, i would lose that flexibility. Is that flexibility discouraged?

Thanks!
Yimeng
Message has been deleted