Fwd: When Should I Get the New Bivalent Booster? - The New York Times

Sean Strub

Sep 25, 2022, 4:59:00 PM9/25/22
to Protect Pike Listserve

How long should I wait to get a bivalent booster if I recently had a shot or contracted Covid?

Erika P. Rodriguez for The New York Times

In August, the Food and Drug Administration authorized updated booster shots for people who are at least two months out from their last Covid shot (whether it was the original vaccine or a booster). You might want to wait longer between shots, though. While an advisory panel to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention voted to recommend the same interval between doses, several members voiced concerns.

Doctors and immunologists said that, in general, people should wait four to six months after immunization to get a booster. Likewise, if you were recently infected with the coronavirus, you might want to wait that same amount of time before getting another shot.

That’s because your body will probably not generate much of an immune response so soon after a previous encounter with the virus, Aubree Gordon, an epidemiologist at the University of Michigan, said. “Your immunity level is so high that you’ll just neutralize immediately the antigen that’s being produced — you kind of reach a ceiling,” she said. “You don’t have that much higher to go.”

And keep in mind that once you do get the new booster, it typically takes around one to two weeks for your antibodies to kick in, Dr. Gordon said.

Fred Weber

Sep 25, 2022, 5:01:48 PM9/25/22
to Sean Strub, Protect Pike Listserve

On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 4:59 PM Sean Strub <sean....@gmail.com> wrote:

--
The Milford Covid 19 Volunteer Task Force works to educate our community and encourage social distancing and other practices that will reduce the risk of Covid 19 transmission. Anyone is welcome to join this google group listserve by emailing a request to Prote...@gmail.com. Information provided through the listserv is not authorized or vetted by any governmental agency unless explicitly stated.
---

     Fred

Image result for mecklenburg vorpommern logo

Ed Gragert

Sep 25, 2022, 9:42:56 PM9/25/22
to Fred Weber, Sean Strub, Protect Pike Listserve
Hi Sean,

Thanks for this very helpful information.   As a recent covid patient during the past 2 weeks, I appreciate  the info and will receive the bivalent booster as soon as the CDC recommends for covid people who have recuperated.

Ed

Ed Gragert
Milford Township, PA

Elizabeth Geitz

Sep 26, 2022, 6:44:18 AM9/26/22
to Ed Gragert, Fred Weber, Sean Strub, Protect Pike Listserve
Hi Ed,
I had Covid in the last 3 weeks and I am following the same guidelines you are. Stay healthy and safe!
All best,
Elizabeth Geitz

Pam

Sep 26, 2022, 8:25:09 AM9/26/22
to Elizabeth Geitz, Ed Gragert, Fred Weber, Sean Strub, Protect Pike Listserve
Thanks for this. I had not been able to find guidance so definitive. I had Covid the end of July.

Pam Houskeeper

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2022, at 6:44 AM, Elizabeth Geitz <ege...@elizabethgeitz.com> wrote:

 Hi Ed,

Mary Jo Thomas

Sep 26, 2022, 8:32:01 AM9/26/22
to Pam, Ed Gragert, Elizabeth Geitz, Fred Weber, Protect Pike Listserve, Sean Strub
I also just had COVID.  Very much appreciate this guidance.

Mary Jo Thomas