Fwd: Readers and Writers Festival this weekend

Sean Strub

Sep 16, 2022, 4:27:23 PM9/16/22
to Protect Pike Listserve

There are great programs at the Readers and Writers Festival this weekend.  The complete schedule can be found at milfordreadersandwriters.com. Many of the events are free, including the three on Sunday at Good Shepherd Episcopol Church (110 West Catharine Street in Milford) that I am coordinating (see flyer attached).

Sunday, 11:00 am   James Kircheck, author of Secret City: The Hidden History of Gay Washington will be in conversation with me.  Secret City hit the NY Times bestsellers list and is an amazing history of American politics in the second half of the 20th century, through the prism of the LGBTQ people working (mostly closeted) in the federal government, agencies and in Congress.

Sunday, 1:00 pm  Paula Giddings, author of Ida: A Sword Among Lions: Ida B. Wells and the Campaign Against Lynching, will be in conversation with Christa Caceres, the president of the Monroe County chapter of the NAACP.  With two recent books published about the lynching of Robert Lewis in Port Jervis in the 1890s, this is sure to be a fascinating conversation.

Sunday, 3:00 pm Steven Thrasher, author of The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide, will be in conversation with global health expert Edson Whitney and I will be moderating.  Steven's book is particularly timely, with the Covid pandemic and, now, Monkeypox.

Again, all three of these events are free, just show up, no registration required.

There also are still tickets available for tonight's performance at the Milford Theatre (7 pm curtain) of The Gin Game, with television's Bluebloods star (and the original star of Sweeney Todd), Len Cariou and Heather Sommerfield-Cariou.  Tickets also available for the ticketed events at the theatre tomorrow (Saturday).

Please check out milfordreadersandwriters.com for information on all the programs over the course of the weekend, the festival offers a wide variety.

Sean Strub

24x36-GoodShepherd-3-events.pdf