Only one user can login at a time?

William Murray

Sep 7, 2020, 3:06:15 AM9/7/20
to Prosody IM Users
I am trying to setup a prosody server for use with the chatsecure iOS client, but strangely I can only login from one client at a time. If multiple users (each on their own account) try to log in, only one will be able to connect to the server at a time. Is there something simple I'm missing?

Prosody 0.11.5 on macOS Catalina w/ standard config + libevent, smacks, csi & csi_simple, and cloud_notify.

Matthew Wild

Sep 7, 2020, 5:35:19 AM9/7/20
to Prosody IM Users Group
Hi William,

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 08:06, William Murray <willmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to setup a prosody server for use with the chatsecure iOS client, but strangely I can only login from one client at a time. If multiple users (each on their own account) try to log in, only one will be able to connect to the server at a time. Is there something simple I'm missing?

Prosody is often used with thousands of connected users, obviously
this is not expected behaviour :)

Does either client get a specific error when they get disconnected
that might help diagnose the problem? Can you enable debug logging in
Prosody and see why it says the connection was closed?

Sorry I can't help more than this, I don't think I've ever seen such a
problem before!

Regards,
Matthew

William Murray

Sep 8, 2020, 4:50:49 AM9/8/20
to Prosody IM Users
Just found out the problem! It seems that if two users try to connect from the same local network, only one will be able to connect. Realistically speaking, this would never happen unless you were debugging like me, so it shouldn't be a problem. When both of my devices were connected to the same router on the same subnet (perhaps putting them on different subnets will solve the problem, haven't tried yet?), it seemed that Prosody couldn't differentiate between the two. However, when I switched one to cellular data and kept the other on wifi, they both were able to connect fine. Also, it seems that this issue is not specific to prosody, as I tested it with openfire and also had the same problem. Hope this helps anyone else who comes across this problem!

P.S. The homebrew recipe for prosody is quite old now (still uses 0.9.14), so anyone who uses Mac OS X has to manually install prosody from source to get the latest version. I have made a few edits to the existing recipe so that it can install the latest version, but don't know who to send it to so that they can update the prosody website with it. Does anyone know who I should contact?

Matthew Wild

Sep 8, 2020, 5:27:37 AM9/8/20
to Prosody IM Users Group
On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 09:50, William Murray <willmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just found out the problem! It seems that if two users try to connect from the same local network, only one will be able to connect. Realistically speaking, this would never happen unless you were debugging like me, so it shouldn't be a problem. When both of my devices were connected to the same router on the same subnet (perhaps putting them on different subnets will solve the problem, haven't tried yet?), it seemed that Prosody couldn't differentiate between the two. However, when I switched one to cellular data and kept the other on wifi, they both were able to connect fine. Also, it seems that this issue is not specific to prosody, as I tested it with openfire and also had the same problem. Hope this helps anyone else who comes across this problem!

Sounds like a broken firewall/NAT/router on the (path to?) the server?
Very strange behaviour, I can imagine it breaking a lot of things!

> P.S. The homebrew recipe for prosody is quite old now (still uses 0.9.14), so anyone who uses Mac OS X has to manually install prosody from source to get the latest version. I have made a few edits to the existing recipe so that it can install the latest version, but don't know who to send it to so that they can update the prosody website with it. Does anyone know who I should contact?

Yes, this is on our radar. I think the goal is to automate the process
at some point when we update our build server. You can try throwing an
email to devel...@prosody.im and our Mac-inclined team member will
see it, but I know he's quite busy at the moment.

Regards,
Matthew