Packages for Debian stretch (oldstable)

Christian Weiske

Oct 6, 2020, 5:39:15 PM10/6/20
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I wondered why an "apt udpate" did not give me the announced 11.7
release and then saw at https://prosody.im/download/package_repository
that "only" Debian 10 (buster, stable) and newer are supported.

My server runs Debian 9 (stretch) and that Debian release is in LTS
support until 2022: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

Could you be so nice and provide Prosody packages for Debian 9, or is
there some grave problem that makes this unfeasible?

--
Regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Weiske

-=≡ Geeking around in the name of science since 1982 ≡=-

Matthew Wild

Oct 6, 2020, 6:14:39 PM10/6/20
to Prosody IM Users Group
Hi Christian,

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 22:39, Christian Weiske <cwe...@cweiske.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wondered why an "apt udpate" did not give me the announced 11.7
> release and then saw at https://prosody.im/download/package_repository
> that "only" Debian 10 (buster, stable) and newer are supported.

That's correct. We were due to announce this formally, but the
announcement got overtaken by the release.

In general our policy is to support the Debian versions that Debian
supports, and this includes any Prosody branches that are in supported
Debian distributions. As of July, Debian no longer supports Debian 9,
and we have likewise wound down support for the old Prosody 0.10.x
series that was included in that release.

> My server runs Debian 9 (stretch) and that Debian release is in LTS
> support until 2022: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
>
> Could you be so nice and provide Prosody packages for Debian 9, or is
> there some grave problem that makes this unfeasible?

The LTS support for Debian is provided by a dedicated team, and not
the usual Debian teams. If you can't upgrade to Debian stable, it
would be worth asking the LTS team if they would consider backports.
That is after all, what the LTS project is set up for.

We have limited resources as a project, and continuing to support
Debian 9 (and Ubuntu versions of a similar age) was a non-trivial task
for us, especially given some improvements we've been making in our
packaging recently.

Hope this helps explain the situation, even if it's probably not the
answer you were hoping for!

Regards,
Matthew

Christian Weiske

Oct 7, 2020, 12:14:45 AM10/7/20
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hello Matthew,

> Hope this helps explain the situation, even if it's probably not the
> answer you were hoping for!

Thanks for the thorough explanation.