roster dir becomes empty

VDP

Jun 23, 2023, 8:11:16 AM6/23/23
to Prosody IM Users
Hi,

Every once in a while (maybe once a month -- I'm not sure) my roster dir is wiped out:

/var/spool/jabber/xmpp%2edomain%2eorg/roster

All the files that were in that dir are gone.

I see nothing in prosody log file that might tell me why these files have been removed.

Restoring a backup and restarting prosody solves the problem for a while until the files are deleted again (all of them at once).

I do not have cron jobs or other tasks that write - let alone delete - in the roster dir.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks

Kim Alvefur

Jun 30, 2023, 8:28:34 AM6/30/23
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 05:11:16AM -0700, VDP wrote:
>Every once in a while (maybe once a month -- I'm not sure) my roster dir is
>wiped out:
>
>/var/spool/jabber/xmpp%2edomain%2eorg/roster
>
>All the files that were in that dir are gone.
>
>I see nothing in prosody log file that might tell me why these files have
>been removed.

The only case in which Prosody would delete these the roster is if the
account is removed, but this would also delete data from other sibling
directories, not just the roster.

>Restoring a backup and restarting prosody solves the problem for a while
>until the files are deleted again (all of them at once).
>
>I do not have cron jobs or other tasks that write - let alone delete - in
>the roster dir.
>
>What should I be looking for?

Turn on debug logging in Prosody. If Prosody does it then it should be
obvious. Perhaps compare the timestamps on the directory with other
system logs.

--
Zash