My server doesn't know its own ip???

LoopyOgre1128

Jul 8, 2024, 6:36:20 AMJul 8
to Prosody IM Users
When i execute prosodyctl check dns, it outputs

<subdomain>.loopy5418.net A record points to unknown address 4.232.136.188
Host <subdomain>.loopy5418.net does not seem to resolve to this server (IPv4/IPv6)

for every subdomain. I can confirm that the server's public IP address is 4.232.136.188 and that all the A records are pointing to that IP address (the server)
Screenshot from 2024-07-07 19-09-45.png
Screenshot from 2024-07-07 19-20-19.png
I tried eveything i know but i dont know how to fix this.
Thanks,

Matthew Wild

Jul 8, 2024, 7:02:01 AMJul 8
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, 8 Jul 2024 at 11:36, LoopyOgre1128 <loopyo...@gmail.com> wrote:
When i execute prosodyctl check dns, it outputs

<subdomain>.loopy5418.net A record points to unknown address 4.232.136.188
Host <subdomain>.loopy5418.net does not seem to resolve to this server (IPv4/IPv6)

This is expected behaviour if, for example, your server is behind a NAT. Some cloud/hosting providers also do not attach a public IP directly to your server. In such cases, yes, the server cannot determine its own IP address. You can run 'ip a' in the terminal to see a list of IP addresses.

It does not mean there is a problem, as long as traffic is able to reach your server correctly.

You can hide the warning by telling Prosody what your expected IP addresses are, using the external_addresses option in your config file: https://prosody.im/doc/prosodyctl#configuration

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Matthew