Having connectivity issues since 0.12

Francisco Fuentes

May 17, 2022, 10:07:33 AM5/17/22
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm an administrator of a small organization and we provide jabber using
prosody over a OpenBSD host with the latest version. Prosody usually
works just fine and the release notes didn't show noticeable changes but
ever since we updated to 0.12 we have no way to talk to users outside
our server.

A prosodyctl check connectivty gives me this result:

Checking external connectivity for conference.texto-plano.xyz via
observe.jabber.network
xmpp-server: Check service failed to establish (secure) connection

Checking external connectivity for texto-plano.xyz via
observe.jabber.network
xmpp-client: Check service failed to establish (secure) connection
xmpp-server: Check service failed to establish (secure) connection

Note: The connectivity check only checks the reachability of the
domain.
Note: It does not ensure that the check actually reaches this
specific prosody instance.
Problems found, see above.

So, as you can see we have a domain and a subdomain, none of them are
reachable as jabber. It's not a firewall issue as far as I'm concerned
as other services are available. Is there anything new in terms of
what's needed to get a server connected to the rest of servers?

Chunks of my prosody.cfg.lua:

http_ports = { 5280, 5281 }
http_interfaces = { "0.0.0.0", "::" }
https_ports = { 5282 }
https_interfaces = { "*", "::" }

unbound = { hoststxt = false }
https_certificate = "/etc/prosody/certs/texto-plano.xyz.crt"
----------- Virtual hosts -----------
-- You need to add a VirtualHost entry for each domain you wish Prosody
to serve.
-- Settings under each VirtualHost entry apply *only* to that host.

VirtualHost "texto-plano.xyz"
ssl = {
-- Normal options
-- Advanced options
protocol = "tlsv1_1+";
dhparam = "/etc/prosody/certs/dh-2048.pem";
ciphers = "HIGH+kEDH:HIGH+kEECDH:!RSA:!SRP:!PSK:!3DES:!aNULL";
options = { cipher_server_preference = true, no_compression = true, cipher_server_preference = true };
}
disco_items = {
{ "upload_xmpp.texto-plano.xyz" },
}
Component "conference.texto-plano.xyz" "muc"
modules_enabled = { "muc_mam"; }
certificate = "/etc/prosody/certs/conference.texto-plano.xyz.crt"

Is there anything else I could provide? I have DNS entries including SRV
ones for both domains.

Thanks
--
~ffuentes
sysadmin texto-plano.xyz

Kim Alvefur

May 18, 2022, 5:34:17 AM5/18/22
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 08:43:19PM +0000, Francisco Fuentes wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I'm an administrator of a small organization and we provide jabber using
>prosody over a OpenBSD host with the latest version.

Is Prosody by chance running in a jail?

>Prosody usually works just fine and the release notes didn't show
>noticeable changes but ever since we updated to 0.12 we have no way to
>talk to users outside our server.
>
>A prosodyctl check connectivty gives me this result:
>

>Checking external connectivity for conference.texto-plano.xyz via
>observe.jabber.network
> xmpp-server: Check service failed to establish (secure) connection

Watch your logs while doing this to see if the connection attempts show
up at all. If they don't that would suggest DNS or firewall issues.
Some DNS issues can be detected with `prosodyctl check dns` so try that.

Other things you should check is `prosodyctl check config` and looking
for errors in Prosodys logs, especially from just after it starts.

>Is there anything new in terms of what's needed to get a server
>connected to the rest of servers?

Nothing should have changed in the requirements since 0.11.x or it would
have been mentioned in the changelog.

--
Regards,
Kim "Zash" Alvefur