Need to log out of ALL devices before shared roster is applied

michael.ip...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2023, 8:11:51 PM3/29/23
to Prosody IM Users
Hi Group

We are using Counterpath Bria for XMPP and presence in a Unified Communications product we are developing and having issues with updating the shared roster.

After updating the sharedgroups file and reloading the groups module, you have to log out of ALL devices e.g. have a point where there are no devices logged in, before the new roster is pulled in. Im assuming this state removes the cached roster and the new one is created in memory on login.

I would assume this is not normal behaviour so just wondering what I am doing wrong?

Regards
Mike

Kim Alvefur

Apr 2, 2023, 8:45:33 AM4/2/23
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 05:11:51PM -0700, michael.ip...@gmail.com wrote:
>We are using Counterpath Bria for XMPP and presence in a Unified
>Communications product we are developing and having issues with updating
>the shared roster.

Always nice to hear of XMPP and Prosody being used in places.

>After updating the sharedgroups file and reloading the groups module, you
>have to log out of ALL devices e.g. have a point where there are no devices
>logged in, before the new roster is pulled in. Im assuming this state
>removes the cached roster and the new one is created in memory on login.
>
>I would assume this is not normal behaviour so just wondering what I am
>doing wrong?

I'm afraid this is normal behavior for mod_groups, it doesn't apply
changes unless you log out and in again. I agree it's not desired
behavior, but I personally have no plans or desire to work or this as I
do not use it myself.

While it does not have any documentation yet, you could look into
https://modules.prosody.im/mod_groups_internal.html which is used for
group ("circle") management in Snikket. There it is controlled via
https://modules.prosody.im/mod_http_admin_api.html which lacks
documentation as well, but I just set up this based on the OpenAPI
schema: https://modules.prosody.im/demo/mod_http_admin_api.html

--
Hope this helps,
Kim "Zash" Alvefur

michael.ip...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2023, 6:45:31 PM4/2/23
to Prosody IM Users
Thanks Kim for responding.
We are using groups because its easier however we are certainly not averse to creating a personal roster for every user. In fact this will be more flexible for us.
Do the same limitations apply?
I have seen the roster dynamically update when I add something to the roster e.g. via Adium, it immediately comes up in Bria. What would be the best way to do this programatically? I know that changing the roster dat files works but the same limitations apply where you have to log out of all devices and I read that it is not the best way to do it.

Mike