Can't get file transfer proxy to work.

Zhang Eric

Nov 20, 2021, 8:34:55 AM11/20/21
to Prosody IM Users
Hi,

I am using Prosody IM 0.11.10 inside a FreeBSD Jail. However I can't send files as the "Send Files" button is grayed out in Pidgin and Conversations is stuck on "Waiting...". I have the following lines in prosody.cfg.lua.

Component "proxy.ericaftereric.top" "proxy65"
        proxy65_address = "ericaftereric.top"

I don't have a DNS record for proxy.ericaftereric.top, do I need to have a DNS record set for that?

Thanks!

Matthew Wild

Nov 20, 2021, 8:46:32 AM11/20/21
to Prosody IM Users Group
Hi!

No, you don't need a DNS record for the proxy subdomain (as long as it is only accessed by clients on the same server, which is usually the case). However you do need DNS for proxy65_address (which I assume you have) and that address *and port 5000* must be accessible to both the sending and receiving clients.

My guess is that port 5000 is firewalled, it's easily overlooked.

I don't know what triggers the file sending UI in Pidgin to enable. Some versions may require you to manually enter the proxy address in the account settings (it defaults to an old jabber.org address that is no longer active). You could also try another desktop client more up-to-date with XMPP such as Gajim or Dino.

Final suggestion: ensure the proxy component domain is a subdomain of the domain that your users are logging into. For example:

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Matthew

Zhang Eric

Nov 20, 2021, 10:05:58 PM11/20/21
to Prosody IM Users
Hi,

Port 5000 isn't firewalled. I just tried Gajim and the "Send Files" button is grayed out just like Pidgin. I do have a DNS record for ericaftereric.top.

Zhang Eric

Nov 20, 2021, 10:23:03 PM11/20/21
to Prosody IM Users

Oh and btw, I had success with Openfire before