Error Address family not supported by protocol

fullyre...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 6:00:30 PM4/18/15
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I wanted to run Prosody 0.98 on my RaspberryPi with Raspbian but I am getting the following error in the logs.

Apr 18 20:57:27 socket  warn    server.lua, [::]:5269: Address family not supported by protocol
Apr 18 20:57:27 portmanager     error   Failed to open server port 5269 on ::, Address family not supported by protocol
Apr 18 20:57:27 portmanager     info    Activated service 's2s' on [*]:5269
Apr 18 20:57:27 socket  warn    server.lua, [::]:5222: Address family not supported by protocol
Apr 18 20:57:27 portmanager     error   Failed to open server port 5222 on ::, Address family not supported by protocol
Apr 18 20:57:27 portmanager     info    Activated service 'c2s' on [*]:5222

When I searched for this particular error I came across several websites that mentioned the IPv6 stack. But non of them mentioned Prosody. Either way I turned IPv6 off since I am not using it:
/etc/modprobe.d/ipv6.conf
# Don't load ipv6 by default
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

vi /etc/hosts
#::1            localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
#fe00::0                ip6-localnet
#ff00::0                ip6-mcastprefix
#ff02::1                ip6-allnodes
#ff02::2                ip6-allrouters

It didn't help. The error still shows up. Does anyone have seen this issue before and can help?

Regards,
Daniel

Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov

Apr 20, 2015, 11:51:11 PM4/20/15
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
В письме от Сб, 18 апреля 2015 14:29:54 пользователь fullyre...@gmail.com
написал:
> Hi,
> way I turned IPv6 off since I am not using it:
> It didn't help. The error still shows up. Does anyone have seen this issue
> before and can help?

Actually, I always do the reverse thing: enable IPv6 everywhere (and I will
never understand people disabling it and continuing IPv4 agony). So, no, I
didn't see the error that it "not supported".

And, as your error mentioned above, your kernel (or, probably the network
driver) ALREADY have no IPv6 support, so disabling that already disabled, of
course, will not help ;)

But, anyway, you didn't provide your prosody.cfg, so we can't tell, if it is
error in your configuration or something else. Anyway, you could take a look
on "interfaces" global variable in the config ;)

--
Best regards,
mva

Kim Alvefur

Apr 21, 2015, 3:49:44 AM4/21/15
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-04-18 23:29, fullyre...@gmail.com wrote:
(snip)
> It didn't help. The error still shows up. Does anyone have seen this
> issue before and can help?

If you absolutely want to disable IPv6, you can set use_ipv6 = false in
the global section of your config.

However, Prosody should not try to bind IPv6 ports if it's not
available. Could you run the following in the telnet console

>for k, v in pairs(require"util.net".local_addresses("both", true)) do
print(k, v) end

and report what you see?

--
Regards,
Kim "Zash" Alvefur

signature.asc

Daniel Frank

Apr 21, 2015, 7:37:05 AM4/21/15
to prosod...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Am Samstag, 18. April 2015, 14:29:54 schrieb fullyre...@gmail.com:

> Apr 18 20:57:27 socket warn server.lua, [::]:5269: Address family not

> supported by protocol

> Apr 18 20:57:27 portmanager error Failed to open server port 5269

on

> ::, Address family not supported by protocol

> Apr 18 20:57:27 portmanager info Activated service 's2s' on

[*]:5269

> When I searched for this particular error I came across several websites

> that mentioned the IPv6 stack. But non of them mentioned Prosody.

Either

> way I turned IPv6 off since I am not using it:

So... you disabled IPv6 and then wonder why prosody logs an error that it

cannot use IPv6?

Prosody tries to use IPv6 by binding to the interface [::]. That fails, as IPv6 is disabled in your kernel, as seen in the first two messages.

So prosody retries with "*", which is equivalent to all IPv4 interfaces, which

suceeds.

> It didn't help. The error still shows up. Does anyone have seen this issue

> before and can help?

What exactly is your issue? The entry in the log?

I haven't tried it, but you can probably get rid of it by specifying the default interface. See https://prosody.im/doc/ports#default_interfaces

Regards,

Daniel